League of Legends Reconnect Loop

so i’ve installed LoL on my win11 VM and the game still crashes every 5 fucking minutes
rito can’t even make their game work on the NATIVE PLATFORM

My Windows 11 machine just crashes on game start. It won’t even open the game window. It show’s a message saying that there was a critical error and no useful info. This is an untouched installation of Windows 11 with 0 modifications done. Same for Windows 10.

1 Like

“small indie game company” dude

2 Likes

Absolutely true (in spite of Apple’s more recent efforts), but in spite of that many Mac machines are given as “work laptops”, especially by a lot of schools, leading to a gaming demographic still existing, and according to the infographic provided by Kyral Linux is barely ahead of Mac in terms of gaming machines, by only 0.2%, that in itself being a fairly new development thanks in huge part to the Steam Deck which is a terrible machine for LoL to begin with just because of its control scheme.
I maintain my position that if you’re gonna talk to a suit justifying catering to 20% is easier than the 3%, even if the 3% has a 0.2% lead in gaming specifically, because that lead is essentially meaningless.

I agree with that only from a position of “it’s probably less work to make the game work on Wine/Proton than making a Mac version”, otherwise imo Mac is still more sensible, especially for games that don’t really work with the Steam Deck’s controls (of which there are very few, but MOBAs certainly are part of that).

despite making around 20% of the market share, MacOS has a lower playerbase than linux according to steam charts
that means that Mac users simply don’t play games compareed to linux users.
therefore making a port of LoL on mac makes no sense. but Rito still did it
so they have no reason to not support linux since it has a higher playerbase than mac

2 Likes

I still think targeting a bigger demographic mostly uninterested in games is less sensible than targeting a smaller one that is. Ultimately, in the long run sellers sell more and better to interested buyers, than to mostly uninterested casual passers by. Although the latter ones could be a good scamming target…

Btw, I don’t know where you’re from, but I’ve never heard of schools giving Macs as working machines… Here where I live, Macs are seen as tech jewellery of sorts – they’re considerably more expensive than most non-Macs with similar specs, without really justifying the higher price, so they basically serve as a status symbol for showing off. And so schools are usually reluctant to buy them.

I saw there is something moving in this issue. Tested today and there was an update in LoL.
Before I got a bunch of errors in the Lutris log, now I get only three.
One is a “Bad file descriptor” , the other two involve “libgstflac.so”.

As far as I researched the issue, Riot is doing two things at the moment:

1. get rid of 32 bit stuff (found that in forums, no date information found, might be wrong)
  2. get rid of support of earlier Windows versions, so with patch 14.4 in february only Win 10/11 works (official Riot Dev video on YouTube)

I don’t expect Riot to say anything regarding Linux, but could it be they fixed something regarding the two above mentioned ongoing developments and we just have to fix two issues to get it running again?

I have an IT background, but am relatively new in the whole Wine thing. Also, I only got lutris-ge-lol-8.7-1-x86_64 to run, had no luck with the newer lutris-ge-lol-p8-12-x86_64.

Here my cleaned up log (deleted some lines of gamemodeauto):

lutris-wrapper: League of Legends
Started initial process 3349 from gamemoderun /usr/bin/strangle 60 /home/b/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-ge-lol-8.7-1-x86_64/bin/wine /home/b/Games/League of Legends/drive_c/Riot Games/Riot Client/RiotClientServices.exe --launch-product=league_of_legends --launch-patchline=live
Start monitoring process.
gamemodeauto:

wineserver: using server-side synchronization.
gamemodeauto:

wine client error:380: write: Bad file descriptor
wine client error:40c: wine client error:2cc: write: Bad file descriptor

gamemodeauto:

(wine:3694): GStreamer-WARNING **: 10:57:37.698: Failed to load plugin ‘/home/b/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-ge-lol-8.7-1-x86_64/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libgstflac.so’: libFLAC.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(wine:3694): GStreamer-WARNING **: 10:57:37.952: Failed to load plugin ‘/home/b/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-ge-lol-8.7-1-x86_64/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstflac.so’: /home/b/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-ge-lol-8.7-1-x86_64/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstflac.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
gamemodeauto:

PS: Above log contains only stuff BEFORE the crash. Non the less, before the patch I had a lot more.
Link to the Riot video: LoL will end support for dated operating systems in early 2024 - Dot Esports

1 Like

Some people on reddit seemed to have fix it. I tried with their fix Release wine-LoL-9.0-rc1 Release! · NelloKudo/WineBuilder · GitHub and it do works.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the info, will check later.

i can confirm that this works

Can confirm that this works for me aswell

thank u, this works for me.

Here as well, thankx again for the link.

Working as well, thx!

Confirmed, works.

I must be missing something, Post Fix I just get the rito client icon on my taskbar (KDE) and thats it. no window or anything of the sort.

Same here, in my ubuntu machine only appears the riot games logo on the bar and nothing loads.

1 Like

After reading the good news about the fix simply using the new wine 9.0 rc1

i tried it yesterday and it worked like a charm.
Today i reboot my computer, try to play LoL, and as other said the LoL client crash on startup
Only the Riot client work… I got this error on my Linux Mint system

wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread 650 at address 7120E566 (thread 0650), starting debugger...
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0000000000000010 at address 00006FFFF6E4CBC7 (thread 0978), starting debugger...
Initial process has exited (return code: 9)

Edit: It started working again for some reason, without touching anything

2 Likes

Can also confirm the wine release above is working on my arch machine. Haven’t tried Debian though.

Hi the new version of wine fix the reconnect loop but i have serious issues with the FPS, someone happens the same?