League of Legends Reconnect Loop

The Linux users on Steam using it for non-games is VERY little. And this are very likely using other wrappers/callers like Proton-Call.

You need to know that of that %20 user share showed on MacOS, an extremely small fraction of it plays videogames on their computers at all. MacOS is very often used in work environments only due to its great support of work many proprietary professional tools, or in general as a luxury item.

But MacOS also has nowhere near the compatibility support of Linux, as tools like Proton or many other compatibility tools for other systems are unsupported or require extra steps.

2 Likes

this is all assuming that the picture is to be trusted at all, with claims like there are more arch users on steam than ubuntu which i find hard to believe. “officially” supporting linux would be opening a whole new can of worms for them. “my flatpak isnt working…” “my appimage doesnt work…” “how to linux?” “hi, im running snap on slackware from 1999, how do?” etc. These solutions aren’t great to begin with and they will now have to start monitoring for dependency changes everywhere. there are far more than 0 reasons for them not to officially support linux. Their anti-cheat is written for windows, and they are probably wanting more functionality than looking at your empty wine prefix. macOS is a proprietary system and league very likely wants to keep their game that way as well. mac also has 10s of times the users instead of 1000s of times the distros.

1 Like

I’ve been playing league from epic games (with heroic games launcher, not lutris), so there’s that too.

i’m guessing you too have the same problem we’re having

and you think that problem is limited to linux ? some people still try to run modern games in windows 7 and ask the EXACT same question on the steam forums

my appimage doesnt work…

appimages are self contained binaries like self contained exes on windows, if someone has a problem with the appimage that’s probably because the appimage is poorly made, like any other self contained executable

1 Like

Has a solution been found?

it has been quite silent for the past days
I think the problem being on riot end means that either we will have someone spending weeks reverse engineering lol to find a fix, or riot deign to make a fix for us, which will sadly probably not happen

2 Likes

4 Likes

It’s pretty easy to determine what your target on Linux is. Targeting on Linux doesn’t work the same way it does for windows, so it is easy to see why you make that argument. Linux so much isn’t a target in and of itself, but rather a target you make yourself. If I were to start with sane defaults it would be targeting Vulkan 1.3, X/Xwayland, wine/proton 8, and your choice of GTK or QT for GUI. Everything else can be easily virtualized inside a Flatpak container. Hell, if your engineers gave the community a goal of what Windows API’s to support and what they are looking for, I bet riot wouldn’t even need to do the hard work. I work with a group right now troubleshooting issues and just having a few breadcrumbs to help us fix broken stuff would be a massive leg up… The parts are already there, they just need a few tweaks to better support the direction that riot wants to go in terms of anticheat. I think riot programmers are a bit naive when it comes to the Linux platform, and this is why they don’t think a Linux version is viable. If they made a client that was on Linux natively and even started with a target that was far out there, every Linux user who wants to play league will find a way to meet that target… Set a target and stick to it. The community will build a bridge for the rest.

1 Like

13.24 is out and… the bug is still there. Tho I had a different one at first.
I created a pratice tool game and tried to launch it against a bot and I had an error message BEFORE the champion select. Re-creating the game leads to the classical bug with the reconnect screen after champion select

1 Like

i don’t have a shred of hope left that money hungry, greedy rito would do anything to fix this, so fingers crossed that there’s an angel out there willing to do their job for them

otherwise, bad luck lads,
F

4 Likes

Keeping my fingers crossed. i have a massive group of friends that play and i do not want to spin up a VM just to play this game.

If you have only one GPU, you might as well just dual-boot.

This might sound mean, but at this point I guess the only way Riot will create a linux port is if they get into an Epic games style spat with either Apple or Microsoft and realise that having your game on a platform where no one can shut you down might not be a bad idea.

I have no way of knowing what’s the reasoning behind Riot’s decisions, but your argument here is hardly sensible. If your industry is gaming, you’re interested in the platforms where gamers gather, and Mac is notoriously not one. It doesn’t matter how big an overall market share it might have, if gaming stats show them as the lowest choice amongst gamers.

In PC gaming, Windows is still king, but the most viable and most used alternative among gamers is Linux, and it has been so for a while now. For example, just think about how many Mac machines out there are dedicated to gaming specifically – zero! Linux on the other hand, there is even at least one mainstream handheld console running on Linux, and a whole bunch of those made by communities or small Linux-dedcated vendors. When it comes to gaming, Linux has a bigger community than MacOS. So for PC game-producing companies, targeting Linux, or at least Wine/Proton, as an alternative to Windows makes by default way more sense than targeting Macs. By default I’m saying, because we don’t know what’s actually going on in Riot’s offices that makes them decide differently.

2 Likes

Hello there, I’m not an expert on wine or lutris. Riot support told me to use Hextech tool to solve the issue. Of course it would’nt because on wine, but wanted to try just in case. After sending then result logs they told used OS was Windows XP, however wine configuration is for Windows 10, and game logs indeed shos Windows 10 Ultimate N x64.

Do you think this logged OS version diff is related to the issue?

1 Like

I currently have a 7900XTX for my gpu so there really wouldn’t be any issue. I just don’t want to do it as i’m lazy and hate microsoft.

I really hope Riot doesnt forget about us. I would love to be able to play TFT on my steam deck.

2 Likes

I really hope Riot doesnt forget about us.

they don’t give a fuck about us

1 Like

Yeah, I dual-boot purely for League and Teams right now, it’d be nice to play a round of arena right now but I’m not about to restart and close everything else just for that