Cant install retail wow or wow classic

Hello,

Could you try upload that version again? Iā€™m facing the exact same issue.

Thanks!

Check over on reddit, someone has posted a permanent link to the 7984 agent.exe file (saw it referenced on the Blizzard forums). bit dot ly/battlenetagent7984
Seems to be the right file

Hey Kinda New here, is that the Linux gaming reddit?

Found it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/xgb5fx/problems_with_battlenet_today/

Dunno if iā€™m not allowed to link or not. Others will have to read to find the provided DL. I have a copy of all my games on a nasā€¦ after doing the Agent.exe swap and permissions change I was able to copy over from my nas and get wow reinstalled. about to try running it.

Yes

I have found a workaround that seems quite easy.

You have to take the old Agent.exe (Version 7984, MD5:11df270079ec6ab9b1d390ceee93f00c) and copy it into the Agent.8009 Folder.

Then you have to do

sudo chattr +i Agent.exe

to make it ā€œimmutableā€. After that the bnet-Launcher canā€™t move the file and will use the old one to update the games.

If you want to revert this you have to do

sudo chattr -i Agent.exe

after doing this battle.net installs game successfully and im able to run the game without crashing it.

solution is from here https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/xgb5fx/problems_with_battlenet_today/

3 Likes

Can confirm this works. Spent a whole day yesterday fighting with this. After following your instructions both WoW and WOTLK Classic updated and are now playable. Thanks :slight_smile: :grin:

1 Like

I can confirm that this solution works. The client is now downloading D2R files. Well done!

Thanks guys, worked for me too.

Since I had removed battle.net I had to run installation and let it crash, change Agent.exe and then run battlenet setup.exe then it worked.

1 Like

The solution doesnā€™t work for me. When I start the Battlenet client, it cannot find any of my already installed games (D2R, etc).

I can confirm this too. The Agent.ext workaround doesnā€™t work for me too. Doesnā€™t matter what I do, I can not install any game at all, or update or anything else.

The workaround I am using at the momentā€¦

• I did add an older 250 GB ssd to my PC and installed Windows 10 on it. Then I installed BattleNet and WoW and then I just copied over the World of Warcraft folder to my Fedora System and now I start WoW.exe directly without even using BattleNet Launcher. I have to insert my account password every time, but thats about it. This works with Lutris and Bottles too.

This could maybe even work with starting the game directly from the NTFS Windows drive. I didnā€™t try that, also not sure how the peformance is when using NTFS for games on a Linux System.

I am not sure if the game client updates itself or if it only works via BattleNet Launcher. If that is the case, then I would just start up windows 10 again and update it, copy over the folder again, done. Its annoying in long term, but still better than not having access to any game at all, I guess.

And no , I am not going to sit here and use Windows while I play a game like WoW. I didnā€™t even have Windows installed on any drive since years actually. :slight_smile:

I really hope this is gonna get fixed soon.

why do people use scrip for Battle net just make a wine Folder install The EXE into that wine Folder open with Lutris or via the terminal with wine and play so far i have had no problem with that i dont trust Lutris install scrips.

Doesnā€™t matter. The problems we currently have are still there, no matter what install method you try to use. Lutris, Bottles, simple wine + exe. Doesnā€™t matter.

What I did to fix my problemā€¦This takes some planning ahead. I backup my battle.net folder and World of Warcraft folder to an external hard drive every quarter of the year. If you have another windows computer with the files on it you can copy those.

When this problem happens which it seems to occasionally, this is the process I take.

1. Click on install World of Warcraft that is in your Lutris Library.
  2. Let the wine prefix load.
  3. Once the launcher starts if you get to the section where it asks what language to select, close it and close the Lutris installer, UNCHECK the remove game files tab, click yes. If it stalls out half way on the updtating Battle.net agent, click the X button to close, it will say cleaning upā€¦, close on the Lutris loader, it will ask you if you want to exit installation, UNCHECK the remove game files tab and click yes.
  4. Go yo your external drive and copy the Battle.net folder to your /Games / World Of Warcraft / drive_c/ Program File(x86). If you have the World of Warcraft folder backed up, might as well copy that folder to the same location at this time, allow both to copy over completely before proceeding.
  5. Go to the + sing in the upper left corner of your Lutris, select the add locally installed game. Under Game info tab, name it World of Warcraft, select Wine (Runs Windows games) from the runner drop down menu, 2004 for publish date. Under tab Game options, click browse and navigate to your battle.net folder then select it. Under Runner tab, make sure wine version is set at default and enable your tabs, you will notice each has a description of its native state, enable or disable. Make sure you enable the ones that say enabled by default, and disable the ones that say disable by default. Next System tab, click browse and navigate again to your Battle.net folder, donā€™t mess with the tabs here. Click Save.
  6. You will notice in Lutris the World of Warcraft launcher went from install / to Play. Click on it and login. Once it loads, donā€™t click on install World of Warcraft if you have copied the folder, click on locate game and add it that way. After this you should be able to play.

This method takes longer, but you donā€™t have manipulate files or run command lines in the terminal, its just another way of getting the job done. Most often it takes a few days sometimes a week for Blizzard to fix stuff. GLHF

I tried that many times, using an already existing WoW folder/install with fresh installed BN etc. it never works. It always wants to update and then is stuck on updating loop. You can never start the game through the BN launcher. Even IF, when it needs an update you are lost again, because that is the main issues for many, it just doesnā€™t update/download anything.

I think the fastest and easiest method is just starting the game without the BN launcher. And if the game needs an update, do it on a Windows install and copy over the folder again. Takes like 5 minutes with SSD/nvme drives. Annoying but it works.

It should actually work in a VM too, as you do not need to start the game, just download/update it. This is even easier than booting into Windows.

Hereā€™s the old Agent.exe version 7984.
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/xgb5fx/problems_with_battlenet_today/ioujf9e/

Sadly the problem seems to have worsened, so replacing Agent.exe isnā€™t enough anymore.
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=53697#c13

2 Likes

I just finished carrying out the agent exe replacement and noticed that my folder was 8012 instead of 8009. Thought nothing of it and followed through with the replacement & immutable chattr. Much to my dismay, I discoverd what you just mentioned, above: replacing agent exe no longer works-around the problem.

/sigh

Update servers seem to be overloaded for WotLK Launch today. Took 20 minutes wait, but I was eventually able to get 8012 to update Starcraft (I made an update to battle.net.config with this which I need to check if that really is needed) and on a separate prefix WotLK. I will post back later as in both these examples I made another change that I want to check on a clean battle.net install.

Today I was able to complete the install of battle net. The Agent folder is up to 13747 and I waited 25 minutes, watching the battle net thermometer beneath the 'Play" button cycle between ā€œInitializingā€¦ā€ and ā€œUpdatingā€¦ā€, but at no time did any progress bars leave 0%.

This is the case with the native 13747 agent as well as the replacement from 7984. I can now consistently start and stop battle net itself, but I cannot install retail WoW. It created a World of Warcraft folder beneath Program Files (86), It contains 3 files:

.patch.result
.product.db
Launcher.db

And 2 directories:

Data
_retail_

Both directories are empty.

Tomorrow is ā€˜patchā€™ day for WoW. I guess Iā€™m done trying anything else until the patch has been implemented. I have a wee bit of hope that things will be working better afterward, but only because Iā€™m tired of tinkering with this problem for a week now :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s to hope! Cheers!

I currently have agent 8012. I can install the battle .net successfully, log in, and start the download for WoW shadowlands. Patience gets me to between 52 and 54% complete (which takes upwards of 8 hours to get to that point ) and then it stops making progress. It sits on the ā€œwaiting on another updateā€¦ā€ status. Anyone else seeing this issue, and more importantly, anyone know how to get past it? Really looking to make the full time switch from windows to Linux, however its this kind of unexpected nonsense that makes me keep my windows systemā€¦ please help!

1 Like

What runner are you using?

Have a look at this post - this is required with the new agent it seems - older installs may not have this file or may be missing the streaming piece.