Cant install retail wow or wow classic

You will need to add sapi.dll to get around the crash on character loading (done through wine tricks->add dll or component->sapi).
You may need to enable system winetricks in your config, save and exit windows to enable it for your game.
In Battle.net, go to settings->downloads and disable all updates - this will stop error logs being generated every 4-30 sec.
Also, change battle.net behaviour to exit completely when you launch a game. Right now updates are broken, but game downloads seems to work.

Added sapi as requested. I turned on system winetricks, and could not get past the battle.net login. Turned it back off and I was able to log in. I launched the game, selected a character and it locked up again during that last loading screen with Jaina Proudmore etcā€¦ it gets to 100% there and freezes. then i get wow.exe not responding again, with a wait and force quit option. tried a few different runner options (lutris 7.2.2m 7.1, lutris fshack 7.2, system staging 1.17 and winehq staging 1.17 so far they all produce that same result.

Have a look in the _retail_ folder where you installed World of Warcraft for an errors folder. Will need to see what is in itā€¦

@jhu I went through the retail folder and looked at every log in the logs folder. The only one that had anything in it besides basic cpu and gpu info was voice.log Itā€™s contents are below:

9/20 23:00:49.225 Voice Log Initialize.
9/20 23:00:49.229 WowConnectionNet: Initialize
9/20 23:00:49.229 MakeSocketPair attempt: 1, 0, -4, 10047
9/20 23:00:49.229 AttemptMakeSocketPair: bound to 23 / [::1]:36709
9/20 23:00:49.230 MakeSocketPair attempt: 23, 0, 0, 0
9/20 23:00:49.331 VoiceProxy attempting to listen on 127.0.0.1:6724
9/20 23:00:50.546 WowConnection::CheckAccept (on 127.0.0.1:6724) ā€“ Connection from 127.0.0.1:49152 accepted
9/20 23:00:50.546 WoW client has connected to proxy
9/20 23:01:17.006 Transport disconnected. Error [7], Reason [connection disconnected unexpectedly]
9/20 23:01:17.006 Last client closed, stopping proxy.
9/20 23:01:17.012 WowConnectionNet: Shutdown
9/20 23:01:17.012 Voice Log Destroy.

Not positive, but my guess here would be that the unexpected disconnect would be me force quitting when the UI freezes upā€¦ thoughts?

Updateā€¦ I did see this in the console when launching there using ā€œlutris world-of-warcraftā€
Update2: and theseā€¦
[0921/060128.117:ERROR:dxva_video_decode_accelerator_win.cc(1397)] DXVAVDA fatal error: could not LoadLibrary: msmpeg2vdec.dll: Module not found. (0x7E)
[0921/060128.119:ERROR:dxva_video_decode_accelerator_win.cc(1405)] DXVAVDA fatal error: could not LoadLibrary: msvproc.dll: Module not found. (0x7E)

Is there an Errors folder? Logs arenā€™t useful with this.

No, thatā€™s why i went to the logs folder.

In Lutris, go to game options and change the executable to point to Wow.exe in the _retail_ folder

solved! I was using theIntel Graphics card instead of the nvidia (dell Precision laptop with both). I had to go into the bios and set nvidia as the primary so it bypasses the intel card. Then i set that in Lutris as well, and now I am logged in and playing. Thanks for the help as I am sure I needed to do at least a few of the things you suggested to make this whole thing work. alot more leg work than I was led to believe but totally worth it in the end!

Copy the WoW folder as well, and make sure the Launcher knows the new pathway. Make sure lutris knows the exe. location. Works every time for me. I got on and did LRF last night.

Good point, and is the best way to get it done. Lots of people just donā€™t like doing it I suppose. I use to do it that way a lot Before Lutris was around. But if you have a simpler way of doing this, it should work flawlessly (Lutris Cough LoL).

yep itā€™s not working anymore. Cannot open Bnet anymore, not sure what is going on.

Same here. B.net doesnā€™t even launch. Just get the icon in the system tray. I reinstalled B.net because Classic started freezing up today. Was able to get things working until I relaunched b.net. Removing the Battle.net folder in ProgramData will get it to launch, but as soon as you relaunch it, nothing comes up again.

No need to remove the entire game lol, nor Bnet. Simply terminate agent & Bnet from task manager
then change the wine settings to lutris 7.2-2 and try again (or repeat 3 times).

Edit: tried with system 7.16 staging, lutris fshack 7.2 and 7.2-2 not working, cant open the bnet.

Do you have esync and fsync enabled?

IGNORE THIS - My battle.net version in my main prefix was older than 13747 which was causing this issue

So when replacing Agent.exe with the old version, B.net will not launch after you quit and relaunch it again. Removing the Battle.net folder from ProgramData (which does NOT contain Battle.net it self), causes Agent.exe to download (the latest non-working version), then starting b.net works again. Though the original bug still persists. The only current work-around is to start wowclassic.exe or wow.exe directly. Use a VM for updates and copy them over until/if this gets fixed.

This is the current approach that works - also disable esync and fsync, donā€™t use lutris-ge-proton runners - I still canā€™t get them working, lutris-7.2-2 or wine-staging-tkg 7.17 are safe

I guess we are all clueless about what is really going on.
My Bnet client just opened without any issues (lutris 7.2-2). I just booted up my laptop again and logged back in Lutris and Bnet. I suspect an unknown issue with the runner itself (probably server limitations or smth related to peer numbers, dunno). Hereā€™s the log file
safenote. co/r/632c572ac290f7@03883146

Link not working

you need to remove the space between the dot and C

Did that and it says it is expired