XCOM: Enemy Unknown for GOG?

The installer on the Lutris library only supports the Steam version of the game. Is there anything about the GOG version?

Run this in a terminal: lutris xcom-enemy-unknown-gog and when you reach the end it’ll probably say exe not found but don’t press the cancel button. Open your file manager and go to the XCOM prefix, should be

~/Games/xcom-enemy-unknown/drive_c, and try to find the path to XEW/Binaries/Win32/XComEW.exe. Please give the full path to me. I tried to guess where it’s stored from gogdb but I’m not 100% on the path.

You can move the prefix to another folder and press cancel so Lutris doesn’t remove everything. Move it back and add it back to Lutris manually.

1 Like

I did it and, indeed, it said: Game executable not found in /mnt/Toys/Lutrisgames/xcom-enemy-unknown/drive_c/GOG Games/XEW/Binaries/Win32/XComEW.exe

The reason is that, after installation, the executable exists in the following path: /mnt/Toys/Lutrisgames/xcom-enemy-unknown/drive_c/GOG Games/XCOM Enemy Unknown/XEW/Binaries/Win32/XComEW.exe (in the same folder there’s also XCOMLauncher.exe, could this also be used as the executable so I can choose what version of the game to start?)

Now is the time for this:

You can move the prefix to another folder and press cancel so Lutris doesn’t remove everything. Move it back and add it back to Lutris manually.

But I’m not sure which one is the prefix. Is it the entire drive_c folder?

edit: OK I did it, thanx to you! I moved the entire xcom-enemy-unknown folder and clicked cancel, like you said. Then I manually added the backed up folder to Lutris and it worked! The game plays, I was even able to load my old savegames from Windows 7!

The only problem is that, when I exit the game, Lutris shows that the game is still playing and then Lutris crashes but that’s not really a problem, I simply close and re-open Lutris.
OK your solution worked! Thank you!!

No problem and thanks for testing. So which exe makes more sense to launch with? XComEW or XCOMLauncher?

I would say XCOMLauncher, it makes more sense for me because sometimes I’ll want to start the regular version of the game and sometimes I’ll want the EW version.

1 Like