Using Proton with Lutris

Proton did a good progress of running Windows games inside steam, but you can’t use it with the games that isn’t in steam like GOG and Origin, but it is possible to do that.

To be able to use Proton with Lutris with any games:

First, you need to create a folder called Proton inside this location:

~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/

Then copy all the files inside the directory dist under Proton 3.XX (The latest version is 3.16) to the folder you created earlier.

Now, you can choose Proton 3.XX from Wine versions under Runner options, and use it to run any games.

The performance with Proton 3.16 is better than TKG 3.19 with a lot of games that I tried with.

Edit: you need to install DXVK manually in order to use it with Proton.

2 Likes

lutris should list proton among the wine and wine staging versions

2 Likes

You don’t need to copy the folder, just make a symlink:

ln -s $HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Proton*/dist $HOME/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/proton

or

ln -s $HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton*/dist $HOME/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/proton

That way you don’t have to remember to copy the files again when Proton is updated by Steam.

4 Likes

Proton 3.16 came out, and soon the numbers will go up quickly, so I don’t think that symlink will live longer.

I edited the symlink to make it permanent no matter what version Proton is.

for me it was
ln -s “$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Proton 3.7/dist” $HOME/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/proton3.7

1 Like

All the folders in $HOME/.steam are symlinks to folders in $HOME/.local/share/Steam/. You’ll want to change Proton 3.7 to Proton* (as in my post above) so the symlink won’t break when Proton gets updated.

it didnt work for me. mine are not symlinks and there is no Stema folder in ./loca/share

Hmm, it must be different on different distros then. I’m on Manjaro Linux using the built-in steam-manjaro package (based on steam).

u do have ubuntu and i am also using the distro version

It will work if there is one folder of Proton. Steam uses 2 Proton folders (one is beta, and the other is stable).

Well, then create a symlink for each folder. :wink:

Whats the right way to use Proton from inside Lutris. Its listed under runners. If I choose Proton. must I enable DXVK from the same configwindow where I enable Proton or should DXVK be enabled/disabled elsewhere, like for example some configfile for Proton? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just trying to figure out how things work, and I read somewhere that DXVK is included with Proton?

Proton doesn’t work with Lutris like it works with Steam. You need to enable DXVK manually.

Whole point is that Lutris used to take care of this, now it doesn’t detect my Steam proton installs.

If I wanted to create tons of symlinks I would, but it’s an ugly solution and should be automated.

The point is that Steam Proton doesn’t work correctly with Lutris anymore, and that’s why they have stopped displaying it in the list of runners to choose from. If you want to try your luck, you have to create symbolic links. Chances are it will not work correctly, as Valve’s Proton uses a runtime environment in a container now.

This will likely still work with Proton 3.16 or Proton 4.11 for older games.

Lutris has never actually used the Proton wrapper or Steam’s runtimes, it just used the wine implementation when you chose Proton as a runner.