[Solved] Overwatch exits during gameplay

I mean the game runs ok with 5.7-11 and DXVK (1.7.3) from Lutris. I can get 100-250 FPS depending on the map but I would say I get around 130-150 FPS usually with my Nvidia GTX 1650 TI laptop GPU on the low settings. Performance was of course much more better with 6.x Wine versions but nothing unplayable for me at least.

EDIT: It was misconfiguration that was causing DXVK 1.8.1L not working fixed it.

What/where is the 5.7-11 setting? I’m not finding it in the lutris menus and see it suggested from time to time to change two numbers, not just the dxvk.

I was running without issues or performance drops on 5.22-tkg and DXVK 1.8.1 last night, although only for about 2 hours. I did get very weird semi-constant random stuttering on Horizon Lunar Colony though despite having a shader cache, almost as if Blizzard should remove that map from the game, but I digress. RTX 2070 Super. Still hoping the Wine 6.x series gets a fix though.

Also I install DXVK 1.8.1 by disabling it in Lutris entirely and instead using system winetricks within the game’s wine prefix to install latest DXVK. Not the best method, but at least I know it works. Too lazy to extract everything properly for Lutris. :slight_smile:

@MoonBurst First as in the following screenshot (the top version is third-party and extracted to ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine), then you change it in the game’s configuration within Lutris.

1 Like

This worked easily enough for me. thanks for the help! I’ll test it for a bit and see if that crashes on me.
EDIT: the 5-7.11 wouldn’t actually run for me. I tried the 6.0-x86_64 and that just crashed for me.

@MoonBurst Try https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git/releases/tag/5.22.r2.g0ae73155
Download the .tar.zst, extract the usr folder within the archive into the folder I’ve mentioned above (and rename it from usr to anything, I personally copied the archive name, hence why it shows up like that in the screenshot). Then check if it shows up in Lutris and change the game configuration accordingly.

it DOES show up, but it doesn’t want to launch the game. It says Play>Stop>Play but doesn’t actually launch. I might be stuck for a bit on it.

Set output debugging info in game’s runner options to enabled and then check the logs. Could be something like glibc version of wine release higher than system, if it happens with the tkg release.

wine: could not load ntdll.so: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32’ not found (required by /home/moonburst/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/wine-tkg-staging-fsync-git-5.22.r2.g0ae73155-309-x86_64/bin/…/lib32/wine/ntdll.so)
I don’t really know what this is.

Thought so, what distro and version of the glibc package are you running?

PopOS and I don’t know how to check a glibc package. :c
EDIT:
$ ldd --version
ldd (Ubuntu GLIBC 2.31-0ubuntu9.3) 2.31

I’m not familiar with PopOS, but I know it’s Ubuntu-based. glibc version you can check with “ldd --version” in the terminal. That wine tkg release was compiled against glibc 2.32, therefore if your version is lower (likely 2.31 or perhaps even lower) it’s not going to run and you’d have to either compile it from source against your system’s own glibc or update the library, if such update is available. The most recent version is 2.33, but I don’t know how long for does PopOS hold package versions back. Ubuntu 20.10 has version 2.32 available though and the latest PopOS version is based on that, unless you’re running the LTS release, which would make it 20.04 and therefore 2.31.

The package name should be libc6, but I haven’t worked with apt-based distributions for a while (running an Arch-based server and Fedora-based desktop), so I’m not aware of current Ubuntu dependency hell.

Yeah, I’m using 20.04 LTS and seems it has 2.31

This one seems to be the last version precompiled against 2.31, you could try that. Building wine-tkg from source can be a mess if errors pop up, so wouldn’t recommend it (but you can try if you’d want to).

That doesn’t launch either. I’m starting to think I might just be stuck until the next more official update comes out to fix it :c

Bad news. 5.22-tkg crashes randomly as well.

@MoonBurst I had also a kinda similar problem to yours. My game did not run with latest Lutris DXVK 1.81L. I was messing around with the Wine Prefix because of this crashing issue and while I was doing that I probably messed up something in it that caused this. I moved my game folder to somewhere else and run the Overwatch install script from Lutris again to create a fresh Prefix after that I moved back and verified my game files. Now DXVK 1.8.1L works perfectly maybe same thing can work for you.

Also Wine-tkg dev compiles them on Arch Linux so if you want to use his binaries you have to be on a rolling distro to get the same libraries as the dev (preferably something Arch based) if not you have to compile them yourself or find someone that compiled it on the same Ubuntu base as yours. Compiling Wine shouldn’t take too long on a modern system, so I suggest you to give it a try.

@Synthkrieg Lutris Wine 5.7-11 it is then. Performance hit aside the game is very playable for me at least. Voice com also works too.

@Synthkrieg I have yet to experience a 5.22-tkg crash :thinking:

UPDATE: YUP, 5.22-tgk also crashes RIP

Wine-tgk can’t be compiled on the OpenSUSE Tumbleweed rolling distro. Instead do the following:

1. Download the *tar.zst of the build you want
  2. Extract it
  3. Cut and paste everything in the “usr” folder into the root folder and delete the now empty “usr” folder.
  4. Rename the wine folder to remove the “-x86_64.pkg” at the end of the folder name
  5. Cut and paste the wine folder to your “lutris/runners/wine/” directory
  6. Run Lutris and click on the “Manage Wine Versions” button and you should see your newly listed runner.
  7. Change Overwatch’s runner to that runner and everything should be fine.

Downloading and running a prebuilt binary can also result in library incompatibilities. The issue you have linked is from a PKGBUILD which is Arch’s build system.
https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git/tree/master/wine-tkg-git You should follow these instead. If you have installed all the build dependencies it should compile just like normal Wine.

@Awsim Please see this comment. Yes, it technically can be compiled on Tumbleweed, but the resulting Wine build will not run. This issue goes back to 2019 and the repo owner has stated “For some reason wine built on Debian/buntu works everywhere, but when you build it on other distros it’s hit or miss. Seems to be a miss for OpenSuse TW”

Also, if “Downloading and running a prebuilt binary can also result in library incompatibilities.” as you say, wouldn’t any prebuilt lutris-wine binaries have this same issue?

That’s the thing about modified Wine, it’s black magic. Mainline Wine I can compile wherever, it works. Modified wine in my personal experience mostly just doesn’t. When I tried to compile 6.8-tkg before the COPR maintainer published a working build it just segfaulted on me mid-build. Not a dependency issue, just a “lol no, the end”.

As for the OW issue, I’ve noticed that whenever the crash occurs, it’s always along with some action happening ingame. Once it crashed on me when I was hit by a Doomfist, once it was during an intense teamfight, etc. It’s always some sound or perhaps shaders, something happening. I mean I haven’t tested running it idle for hours and the crashing does occur seemingly entirely on random, but it’s a correlation.

Also played for over 2 hours on 6.8-tkg yesterday without a hitch. Whatever it is, it’s beyond me.