[Solved] My Steam Friend List keeps opening and closing itself

Hello!

So, I’m a fairly newbish user. It’s my first real attempt at gaming on Linux, actually. Anyway. I got myself No Man’s Sky a while back and now that I decided to make to switch to Linux, specifically: Solus Budgie, I decided to take my Steam Library and that game, with me.

The problem is simple: Steam, the Wine version, just refuses to work properly. It’s downloading the game, sure, but the friend list keeps popping itself open and closing itself. Again, and again. I had to shut down my download while writing this because it would just block me from writing every 5 seconds.

It makes the whole OS unusable because this window keeps popping open interupting whatever I’m typing… and I can only imagine how much trouble it’s going to cause once the game will be done.

Any solution? Anyone with the same issue?

Hi there,

I’m on the same newbish situation and encountered same issue, I even reinstalled 2 or 3 times wine.steam on Lutris until found this: [Solved] Wine Steam New Chat issue

Config>Arguments: -nochatui -nofriendsui

Then the friendlist will look the old fashion and you can make that Steam Friendlist doesn’t log in automatically(On Steam Settings as used to be) or use it as usual.

After that you can delete the Arguments but the new fashion will come back, it will be there but now it doesn’t open and close itself every couple of secs. Even if texts are not correctly displayed you should be able to open the config on the friendlist corner and make it not log automatically. Wouldn’t recommend opening or using the list again, tho xD But this way you can live along both versions without the issue.

Hope it works for you too!

extra hint.

You might want to copy your lib to linux drive, ntfs is sloooooooow.

Had major performance issues using my windows partition under wine.

Hi there,

I’m on the same newbish situation and encountered same issue, I even reinstalled 2 or 3 times wine.steam on Lutris until found this: [Solved] Wine Steam New Chat issue 2

Config>Arguments: -nochatui -nofriendsui

Then the friendlist will look the old fashion and you can make that Steam Friendlist doesn’t log in automatically(On Steam Settings as used to be) or use it as usual.

After that you can delete the Arguments but the new fashion will come back, it will be there but now it doesn’t open and close itself every couple of secs. Even if texts are not correctly displayed you should be able to open the config on the friendlist corner and make it not log automatically. Wouldn’t recommend opening or using the list again, tho xD But this way you can live along both versions without the issue.

Hope it works for you too!

Sorry for the late answer!

BUT, this indeed fixed it for me! Thanks a lot! :smiley:

1 Like