[SOLVED] Lutris doesn't open after update

This morning, I ran sudo pacman -Syu as usual, which among other things updated also Lutris. After the update was done, Lutris just wouldn’t open. There were no error messages during installation, it all seemed normal.

I tried uninstalling sudo pacman -Rs lutris, and reinstalling all dependencies listed in the Arch Repository and then Lutris itself. It does appear as one of the installed programs in my system, and right after I click the icon to open it, a window opens and shuts down a split-second after.

Would you please help me solve this? I’m considering reformatting the OS, even though it feels like an overreaction.

Thank you.

Well, you’re not alone. I have exactly the same issue.
Reformatting will not help i guess.When i try to open Lutris i get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/lutris", line 31, in <module>
    from lutris.gui.application import Application
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/lutris/gui/application.py", line 30, in <module>
    gi.require_version("GnomeDesktop", "3.0")
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 129, in require_version
    raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available' % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace GnomeDesktop not available

Tested on Arch:

$ uname -a
Linux arch 4.20.6-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 31 08:22:01 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This is good news (maybe =P). it probably means there’s a bug somewhere, and we should just wait for it to be patched =) Even though I would rather put my hands into help solving the issue… but I know nothing about programming =/

If I try to execute Lutris from the console I get the exact same error messages you get

We’re both on the same state of release of Arch, as well. I get the same results for uname -a

Do you think this might be something related to Arch, instead of Lutris? I must say, if I remember correctly, after I ran sudo pacman -Syu this morning, I don’t think there was any Arch related updates, but there was definitely a Lutris update. This is why I though of posting this issue here, and not in the Arch forum.

I’ve just tested it on my Laptop with the Gnome Desktop.
There the Error changes into this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/lutris", line 31, in <module>
    from lutris.gui.application import Application
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/lutris/gui/application.py", line 34, in <module>
    from lutris.game import Game
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/lutris/game.py", line 14, in <module>
    from lutris.runners import import_runner, InvalidRunner, wine
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/lutris/runners/wine.py", line 10, in <module>
    from lutris.gui.dialogs import FileDialog
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/lutris/gui/dialogs/__init__.py", line 6, in <module>
    from lutris.gui.widgets.utils import open_uri
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/lutris/gui/widgets/utils.py", line 4, in <module>
    from PIL import Image
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PIL'

So definitely a bug on Lutris? =P Man… shouldn’t have updated it today! xD is there a way to downgrade it?

I don’t know if there is a way through pacman as i’ve never tried it.

But if you can’t wait for an official fix from upstream you might try to go around pacman temporarily and use a source version:

https://lutris.net/downloads/

Yes, you can downgrade via pacman:

sudo pacman -U ‘/var/cache/pacman/pkg/lutris-0.4.23-1-any.pkg.tar.xz’

worked for me

1 Like

Ah! Nice! Running into the same problem since this morning. Will revert.

Thank you!

Works for me aswell, thank you very much! :smiley:

andib, I try running the command line you posted, but I get the message:

error: ‘‘/var/cache/pacman/pkg/lutris-0.4.23-1-any.pkg.tar.xz’’: could not find or read package

But when I browse the /var/cache/pacman/pkg, I see the lutris-0.4.23-1-any.pkg.tar.xz file in it. What would you say could be the problem? It’s in there, somehow pacman can’t access it.

Thank you.

Had an error on the first try too.

Just try it like this:

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/lutris-0.4.23-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

instead of

sudo pacman -U ‘/var/cache/pacman/pkg/lutris-0.4.23-1-any.pkg.tar.xz’

hmm… i just typed

sudo pacman -U

and then dragged the file from the filemanager into the terminal. Perhaps it works this way for you.

Wow, it worked! =D thank you guys so much!

For the ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'GnomeDesktop’ and ‘PIL’ on Arch Linux try run sudo pacman -S gnome-desktop python-pillow

1 Like

Python Pillow made it work on my Gnome Laptop.

But i guess the Gnome Desktop should not be a dependency for Lutris, so i’ll just stay on a downgraded Version on my Xfce Desktop, until there is another solution.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Yay! Installing sudo pacman -S python-pillow made it work for me. I am using Xfce 4 just like you and the newest version now works for me. Thank you for mentioning it @OsamaBinlada.

1 Like

gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3 is a dependency on Lutris Debian package, gnome-desktop on arch is the same package (its a lib for Gnome modules), i guess…

Enjoy Lutris 0.5.0 hehe

Well, i didn’t expect that.

Installed it now and got everything working, thanks for your research and help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me see if I understand this right, I need to install gnome-desktop as a dependency of Lutris even if my desktop environment is actually KDE?

Edit:
Wow, this is even better! In fact, installing gnome-desktop dependency then lutris-0.5.0-1 works just fine! =D I thought somehow the gnome-desktop would try and install itself in place of my current KDE installation. =P the more you know, I guess… one thing though, I had to manually remove the old Lutris shortcut and then re-add it again, so it wouldn’t give me any error messages when opening from the shortcut.

1 Like