Back to the main site

[solved] Final fantasy 14 doesn't launch


#1

Hey, anyone successfully installed ffxiv? I get page fault during launcher update, on winehq they mention you should use 32bits prefix, and i’m already using it. Don’t know how else to fix.


#2

I managed to get it installed on both my desktop and laptop. Laptop installation was flawless, however I had to retry installing it 3 times on my desktop before it got it working properly. I ran into a couple HTTPS errors from SE when trying to initially sign in which caused me to have to reopen the launcher several times. I installed mine Standalone both times.


#3

I’ve built another PC, this time it installs without problems, but whenever i try to play i get an error asking to update directX. Welp, tried a few different configs but nothing seems to work.
This is the trial version, so maybe it has problems exclusive to it.


#4

It very well could be something to do with the Trial Version. Have you tried installing the Standalone and logging into your trial account that way? Make sure the launcher is attempting to use DX 9 and not DX 11, it should be set to DX 9 by default but you never know.


#5

I think I found the solution to the directx error after install. I found on the WineHQ site for FFXIV Stormblood the recommendation to try Gallium Nine (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=35777#testdata).

On arch this was easy enough since its in the aur (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-gaming-nine/).

So the full steps were to run “pacaur -S wine-gaming-nine” then reboot (most likely unneeded but wanted to be sure), from there I booted the game and it simply worked. Hope this helps.


#6

After installing all these packages (i did not install wine separately from lutris, all wine clients i use come from lutris default installation process), i got it to boot. It’s a black screen ,but it booted. I’ll try to finish the download and see whats up (i’m booting it from the character creation, before files are finished downloading)

https://wiki.winehq.org/Fedora


#7

For the black screen after booting it may be a symptom of something gloriouseggroll (the person who wrote the lutris install script) discussed how to fix on his website.

https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/ffxiv-arch-linux-wine-staging-2-4-works-beautifully/

If you go to step 7 it tells you the steps to take, I will add the lutris install script may not have installed the .cfg files where he says, if so look inside the prefix itself under drive_c/users/your_username/My Documents/My Games/Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn and edit from there; but I would check where he says it is first.

Heres the short of what needs to be done though “Open FFXIV.cfg
Change CutsceneMovieOpening 0 to CutsceneMovieOpening 1
Save and close”.


#8

Worked flawlessly, thanks!


#9

bump on an unrelated problem, does anyone have mouse issues on ffxiv? It’s not problematic enough that i can’t play, but it’s bothersome. Sometimes when moving the camera i can get hangups, as if the mouse was stuttering/trembling, it’s not a FPS issue.


#10

I too get the mouse acting jittery, I haven’t been able to find a solution yet though. I tried three mice and they all gave the same result to varying amounts. Lowing my mouse sensitivity in game causes it to act it tiny bit more well behaved though.


#11

Checking in to say I’m having the same jittery mouse issue when using it to move the camera.

If there are any fixes… please…


#12

Chiming in on the small amount of progress I have made so far, I found another topic discussing a similar issue here on the Lutris forums which presented myself with a link to my solution(it still jumps a bit but my character is no longer doing crazy 360’s and stuff from a small twitch movement).

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration

The short of what I did was to create the .conf file it directs you to do at “/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf” with “sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf” then used a ctrl+shift+v to paste in

Section “InputClass”
Identifier “My Mouse”
MatchIsPointer “yes”
Option “AccelerationProfile” “-1”
Option “AccelerationScheme” “none”
Option “AccelSpeed” “-1”
EndSection

Then I logged into a tty using control+alt+F2, logged in, restarted my gui with the command “sudo systemctl restart sddm.service” but this will need to be based on whatever DE you use, for example gdm.service for gnome. then logged into the restarted gui and it seems to be ok-ish. You could also simply reboot your machine to achieve the same effect if you are unsure of which you use.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the AUR version of gallium nine updated recently to 3.3.2 which also may have some effect, if you are on arch be sure to apply that update as well.