Red Alert 2 via Electronic Arts App does not launch

Hi,

I was trying to install & run Red Alert 2 which I had on origin. I tried by just adding the game using lutris → origin connection. That installed origin, but origin just showed me a notification to migrate to “EA App” that I could not dismiss. So I thought, ok, maybe origin is EOL or so… (I do not pay much attention to origin, TBH)… is that right? Or did I do something wrong there already?

Anyway, updating to EA App from origin did not work, so I just installed the EA App “game” using lustris. That worked okish and EA App starts and is now logged in. I installed the game → all fine till now.

But when I try to launch Red Alert 2 I get a strange message from EA App that the game needs “administrator rights” and if I am sure to run it. Saying “ok”, I get some progress bar and after that an error message that “something on our side” has failed and I should try again later. I suspect EA App tries to solve issues with Windows Account thingie (EAC), but I guess that is not necessary on wine…

I tried to run lutris from the terminal, but could not find much usuful information there. I tried to just run the game exe usind “run exe in prefix” lutris option but that produced the error “missing ssleay32.ddl”… what is that?

Anyway, would be glad for any hints. Anybody experienced similar issues?

Thanks
Garfonso

1 Like

Yes, I can confirm that this happens to me too.

I also have experienced this and would like to know how to fix it.

This problem isn’t just affecting Red Alert 2, it also occurs on any Command and Conquer game that receives the “This game requires permissions” message as C&C3 and RA3 work fine without it. It can’t be because the game itself is having issues running because the games worked fine when ran from Origin. Plus C&C:TS runs perfectly when ran from it’s freeware executable.

If anyone wants to see the logs from EA App or from the terminal when attempting to run the games then I can provide them, however, from my perspective they seem unpromising.

In conclusion, I’ve narrowed down that the problem lies within whatever call EA App makes to gain permission to launch the games. If anyone knows how permissions work with Wine and how EA App might be able to call upon them then a solution could be revealed.

I hope to see a solution to this problem because I’ve been using all my knowledge and resources to solve it. I consider myself a newbie with troubleshooting Wine, but I’m excited to learn from these problems :slight_smile:

1 Like

hello,
@jhu just solved something similar for me.
my post:

for Lutris - Preferences - Runners - Wine @ wine-ge 8.17
@ Configure Wine

• Runner Options
    • Wine @ wine-ge 8.17
  • System Options
    • vulkan ICD loader = llvmpipe (default)
      • this nVidia gpu not supporting vulkan
      • or Intel OpenSource (not found)

for EA app - Configure

• Runner Options
    • Wine @ wine-ge 8.17
  • System Options
    • vulkan ICD loader = llvmpipe (default)
      • this nVidia gpu not supporting vulkan
      • or Intel
  • terminal install
    • sudo apt install vulkan-tools