Overwatch "General Error" E0010180 on Intel HD 620

Performance will not be that great, but I’m trying to run Overwatch on my laptop with an i5-8250U and HD 620. I am running Arch Linux. The Lutris Wiki even lists a slight variation of this iGPU in its troubleshooting guide. I tried installing Overwatch through the Lutris community script and the Battlenet Lutris installation. Sometimes it loads to a black screen but will always return with “General Error E0010180”. Though the hardware and drivers are separate, I can run Overwatch on my 5700XT desktop.

I have installed Overwatch separate from the Wine prefix that the Overwatch-specific Battlenet client is installed. This is also the case for my home PC, which has the game on another drive. However installing the game in the same Wine prefix (e.g., the “C Drive”). does not fix the issue either. The troubleshooting steps below have been tried with and without the game in the prefix.

I have triple-checked that I have the Wine dependencies Vulkan drivers installed, following the guides on the Lutris wiki for Battlenet/Battlenet games. Specifically for Vulkan drivers, if there is anything further I can do to check please leave suggestions. I can run various games with DXVK, verifying that they use DXVK with MangoHUD (e.g. Diablo III). I can also run vkcube and vulkaninfo. I have the 32bit Vulkan drivers installed as per the dependencies.

I tried adjusting Wine/DXVK versions, such as DXVK 1.7 and Lutris Wine 6.0. The default of DXVK 1.8 and Lutris Wine 6.4 produce the same error. I tried the workaround listed on the Wiki for Intel for the Vendor ID/Device ID and putting it in the Settings_v0.ini. Based on the updated time after I close the game, and the fact that the block for the GPU moves to the top of the file, I’d guess that it’s being read correctly. I have also checked the Vulkan ICD loader and tried changing it between Auto, i686, and x86_64. In case I have messed it up somehow, here’s the relevant Lutris command line output and my GPU block in the INI file:

2021-04-05 13:21:59,233: Running Intel Mesa driver 21.0.1 on Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) (0x5917)
2021-04-05 13:21:59,233: GPU: 8086:5917 1028:0804 (i915 drivers)
[GPU.6]
GPUDeviceID = "22807"
GPUName = "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620"
GPUScaler = "0.000000"
GPUVendorID = "32902"

Changing the GPUName to Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 doesn’t make a difference.

I tried disabling DXVK just to see if I could get the game to work, but no luck. Sometimes running without DXVK doesn’t even return the “General Error” part. It just stops about 3 seconds after trying to run. The logs are largely the same between both runs minus the Vulkan initialization, but I’ll share both for clarity.

Running with DXVK:

MESA-INTEL: warning: Performance support disabled, consider sysctl dev.i915.perf_stream_paranoid=0

MESA-INTEL: warning: Performance support disabled, consider sysctl dev.i915.perf_stream_paranoid=0

[0405/133605.560:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(142)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 0
info:  Game: Battle.net.exe
info:  DXVK: v1.8.1
info:  Built-in extension providers:
info:    Win32 WSI
info:    OpenVR
info:    OpenXR
info:  OpenVR: could not open registry key, status 2
warn:  OpenVR: Failed to locate module
info:  Enabled instance extensions:
info:    VK_KHR_get_surface_capabilities2
info:    VK_KHR_surface
info:    VK_KHR_win32_surface

info:  Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2):
info:    Driver: 21.0.1
info:    Vulkan: 1.2.145
info:    Memory Heap[0]: 
info:      Size: 5770 MiB
info:      Flags: 0x1
info:      Memory Type[0]: Property Flags = 0xf
[0405/133606.139:ERROR:dxva_video_decode_accelerator_win.cc(1397)] DXVAVDA fatal error: could not LoadLibrary: msmpeg2vdec.dll: Module not found. (0x7E)
[0405/133606.141:ERROR:dxva_video_decode_accelerator_win.cc(1405)] DXVAVDA fatal error: could not LoadLibrary: msvproc.dll: Module not found. (0x7E)
[0405/133607.098:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(142)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 0
wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.

Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
MESA-INTEL: error: ../mesa-21.0.1/src/intel/vulkan/anv_device.c:3316: GPU hung on one of our command buffers (VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST)
Monitored process exited.
All monitored processes have exited.
Exit with returncode 0

Running with WineD3D:

user.reg:748: Malformed value '"HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pc"=3 (js)"="disabled"'

[0405/134247.886:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(142)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 0
[0405/134248.584:ERROR:dxva_video_decode_accelerator_win.cc(1397)] DXVAVDA fatal error: could not LoadLibrary: msmpeg2vdec.dll: Module not found. (0x7E)
[0405/134248.586:ERROR:dxva_video_decode_accelerator_win.cc(1405)] DXVAVDA fatal error: could not LoadLibrary: msvproc.dll: Module not found. (0x7E)
[0405/134249.439:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(142)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 0
wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.
Initial process has exited (return code: 0)

I have searched around for potential solutions several parts of these logs - namely the DLL failure (intro video/credits maybe?) and the “Read Access Denied”. I couldn’t find any real solution. For the Overwatch General Error and the related errors from what seem to be previous versions of the game (0xE0010170, 0xE0010160), people “fixed” it by getting the game to not use their iGPU. But in my case, I need the game to use the iGPU. Normally I would’ve left it at that and chalked it up to crummy Intel drivers, but the Lutris wiki explicitly mentions the HD 620, and people can also run it on the HD 630 (albiet that video is two years old or so).

Has anyone been able to solve this and get the game running on the Intel HD 620?

1 Like

Unfortunately, this seems like a (recent-ish) issue with the Intel Mesa drivers. There doesn’t appear to be a fix, or at least not one I could find. Perhaps this will be resolved in the future.

1 Like

Thank you. Got a very same issue on my Intel HD Graphics 530. Is there any known issue to track the current state of that issue at mesa?

There’s an issue mentioning this error (#3092 on Mesa GitLab) on Intel iGPUs from 9 months ago for Grand Theft Auto V on Steam running through Proton 5.0, but aside from that I couldn’t find much.

To provide a bit more context than what my original reply said, this is an issue around the VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST part of the crash. As for why I couldn’t get the game to work without DXVK I’m not sure but that is potentially a separate issue - perhaps related to Mesa Issue #4611? (and likely the game wouldn’t be playable with WineD3D anyway).

Here’s the DXVK issue regarding that error, and here’s one of the comments on the issue claiming that it is a driver bug, though it’s from a while ago it’s very possible that there have been regressions since. In short, the error seems to be a Mesa driver bug.

Sorry I can’t post links to the actual issues, I can’t attach more than 2 links. I’m also no expert with Wine, Mesa or DXVK so this could all be entirely incorrect, but it seems from my research that the crash is related to Mesa. Also, even though the DXVK comment is a few years old, the Mesa issue is from 9 months ago.

1 Like