How I got the Winesteam Runner to work properly Under Lutris

This was a real pain in the… for me, and I am assuming that this is the case for many people. This worked for me so I hope somebody will find this helpful. So without further ado …

Requirements
All of the requirements should be available through your package manager

1. Download the steam windows installer from steam
  2. You will need Lutris installed (of course)
  3. Also, you will need the latest greates wine (4.14) installed on your system
  4. Also, you will need winetricks installed.

Method

1. Start Lutris and install the Winesteam runner as outlined on many sites out there.
    ie: https://linuxconfig.org/install-windows-steam-on-linux-with-lutrishttps://linuxconfig.org/install-windows-steam-on-linux-with-lutris

No matter what I did the store came up black with "steamwebhelper crashing. So once installed, exit out of lutris.

1. Start a console and copy paste the following:
  • env WINEPREFIX=~/winesteam winecfg
    (make sure the windows version is set to Windows 7 and exit out of winecfg)

• env WINEPREFIX=~/winesteam winetricks corefonts

1. Navigate to the where you downloaded the steam installer
  • env WINEPREFIX=~/winesteam wine SteamSetup.exe

Once installed, you will see that the store window is still black

1. Navigate to where you have installed steam and run steam
  • cd “~/winesteam/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam”
  • env WINEPREFIX=~/winesteam wine Steam.exe -no-cef-sandbox
  1. Once you see that everything is working OK overwrite the Lutris installation with the Standard installation
  • cd ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix64
  • rm -Rf *
  • cp -Rf ~//winesteam/* ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix64
  1. Configure winesteam on Lutris
    Start Lutris
  • Click on Configure. (An image follows below)

Enter:
-no-cef-sandbox
in the “Arguments” field

Select:
System (4.1.4)
from the “Wine version” drop down box
of course you can experiment with the wine version as you please

I hope this works out for you.

1 Like

I may be missing the point here, so apologies if that’s the case, but you do know that you can play your Windows Steam games with the Linux Steam client now using Proton?

I’m not sure what the benefit of installing the Windows version of Steam is anymore. Again, if I’m missing something obvious (or the whole plot) I do apologise.

My only usecase would be to get the latest Borderlands 2 DLC working, as it’s not released on Linux and won’t install using Proton. I went through a similar process minus the console to get it to run. Other than that… No clue, but always good to know. :slight_smile:

Curious. I do have Borderlands 2 in my library with a few Upgrade Packs. It’s not something I’ve played or got installed at the moment, but the store page says the game is supported on Ubuntu. I guess it depends what distro you’re using as to whether you need a few tweaks but it seems there is native Linux support.

The point for the whole exercise was… “It can be done”… To quote the opening to the “Six Million Dollar Man” … “We have the technology” :nerd_face:

Fair enough. I can appreciate that :nerd_face: