Everquest Crashing

I am having an odd issue with Everquest crashing - not after the initial install, but on subsequent attempts to run the game. I just installed it yesterday using the “Standalone - Live version” installer on the page for the game here.

The game works almost perfectly right after the install. But once you close the game, it will consistently crash when loading it again. I uninstalled and the same happened again. The game installs and you can then launch it right away - runs just fine. But close the game and re-launch and it crashes again.

Even the launcher shows up perfectly on the initial install, but after that you get the ‘whited out’ launched. I did find from a post on ProtonDB that launcher issue can be fixed with adding the argument “–disable-gpu”. Before that and after that though, the game crashes.

I did upload some logs to pastebin, one using the ‘submit-issue’ switch and the other the output of the CLI using ‘-d’

It would seem that something is happening after the initial install that causes this. I know I had it working a while back under Ubuntu 20.something - and there was some odd way I had to launch it, but I would like to determine just what is causing this. I seen others in discord posting about having the same issue, but I have no idea how to follow posts in discord like that - it’s just too random to try and follow all that.

I could just re-install every time I suppose, it seems to work just fine that way - but that would be quite a hassle!

Is there something that Lutris is doing right after the install to the Prefix or something as opposed to how it’s running during the install? Change in the Prefix maybe? I’ve tried turning off a number of options for the runner/system and it seems to consistently crash.

submit-issue: Ubuntu Pastebin
lutris -d: Ubuntu Pastebin

1 Like

Follow up on this - I found an old Wine Prefix backup that I had used with a previous OS install. The old Prefix allows Everquest to run just fine.

I haven’t dug too deep yet, but the only difference I see (so far) are some overrides in the Wine Configuration for DX9. I will see if I can isolate just what the difference is.

Overcast451, any luck on this?

I have the exact same issue: Everquest installs fine, but the launcher white-outs on subsequent launches.
Adding the --disable-gpu argument fixes the launcher, but Everquest still crashes after the client has started and you have selected a server.

Nope! I ended up using the old prefix, which works fine. I messed with it for days and couldn’t figure out just why the old prefix worked. I really went over it as well to try to determine just what the problem was, wish I could help more. On another note, in-game I would get crashes if I didn’t set the sky to ‘none’.

1 Like

Now I’m having a very similar issue with Everquest II. Se here.

Well… I kept having intermittent crashes all the same. Very unpredictable. I finally gave Steam with Proton 8.0-4 a try (new one). If you do, make sure to use the flatpak version of Protontricks as the standard deb package isn’t really supported anymore.

Protondb has some info on what Protontricks to add to get it working. Just check their site for info.

It’s been pretty stable, but one thing I did note, I definitely get some crashes with the sky turned on to any level, even simple. Leaving it off seems to help avoiding crashing significantly.

1 Like

I did a hack. I installed the game using Steam, copied the game folder and Windows environment to Lutris, and now I have a working Lutris install.

Thanks for the tip about reading ProtonDB.