EA App launch error

Hello,
I’ve tried to run the EA App on my kubuntu 24.04 machine, but every time I get the same error message in the logs and can’t figure out what the problem is.
GPU: RX 6750 XT;

Can someone help?
Thank you

Started initial process 76447 from gamemoderun /usr/bin/wine /home/flaviog/Games/ea-app/drive_c/Program Files/Electronic Arts/EA Desktop/EA Desktop/EALauncher.exe
Start monitoring process.
gamemodeauto:
gamemodeauto:
Monitored process exited.
Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
All processes have quit
Exit with return code 0
DRI driver not from this Mesa build (‘24.1.0-devel’ vs ‘24.0.5-1ubuntu1’)
failed to load driver: radeonsi
es\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop\EA Desktop\EADesktop.exe: dlls/win32u/sysparams.c:439: user_check_not_lock: Assertion `0’ failed.

Hi,
How far does this get? Does it at least run the login box?
If not, check user permissions in your wine prefix - make sure your user owns the files.

Two other things - what version of Lutris are you using, and you might want to check out the Mesa from Kisak’s PPA which I’ve found a lot more stable.
I just installed it and it runs without issues - Lutris 5.17 (Git,) Ubuntu 24.04(temporary) and 6650 XT

1 Like

Sadly it looks like you have messed up your Mesa install - not sure how that is possible but is this a fresh install of Ubuntu? If it is, I would blow it away and reinstall then follow the directions here (Installing World of Warcraft hitting wineprefix error - #3 by OJ1) to install the newest lutris, correct wine and driver dependencies to get this to install

1 Like

Hello,
Right now I have a a fresh install, so trying to figure it out is not going to be a problem.
I’m going to try to follow the guide and install the new Mesa version.
Thank you.

Edit:
Ok, I followed the guide and I can see some progress.
Now when I run the app it gives me this output.

Started initial process 17524 from gamemoderun /usr/bin/wine /home/flaviog/Games/ea-app/drive_c/Program Files/Electronic Arts/EA Desktop/EA Desktop/EALauncher.exe
Start monitoring process.
gamemodeauto:
gamemodeauto:
Monitored process exited.
Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
All processes have quit
Exit with return code 0
did not find extension DRI_IMAGE_DRIVER version 2
did not find extension DRI_Mesa version 2
did not find extension DRI_DRI2 version 5
did not find extension DRI_IMAGE_DRIVER version 2
did not find extension DRI_DRI2 version 5
did not find extension DRI_SWRast version 5
es\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop\EA Desktop\EADesktop.exe: dlls/win32u/sysparams.c:439: user_check_not_lock: Assertion `0’ failed.

Is there something missing, what can I do?

Helllo,
I kind off managed to make the login box show up by deleting the old Mesa drivers, but by doing that I accidentally broke my machine, no worries I made a fresh install.
After that I installed the official AMD GPU drivers but it’s still showing the same message, do I install the Mesa from Kisak’s PPA along side the AMD drivers or is it a replacement?
Thank you.

Without Mesa (and vulkan/dxvk,) some clients fall back to OpenGL. It will run the UI but it isn’t optimal for games as you might guess.

Kisak is an updated Mesa, that replaces/supersedes the stock versions.
The installer for the AMD drivers has been known to break compatibility, especially if you install compute tools. For my last two OS builds, I’ve completely avoided using AMD’s download, and never regretted that decision :slight_smile:

Edit, for clarity: My personal choice would be to uninstall the AMD package, go back to stock, put Kisak on, then update from it.

1 Like

I’m in lost for words. Not only this fixed the problem, but it also made my games run way more smoothly, this is just like magic!
Thank you so much both of you, you helped me a lot!

Unless you are doing AI/ML or some form of rocm with the gpu, don’t install the AMD drivers - they have bad performance in gaming and just using Mesa will be much better - I don’t know if Kisak has added support for Ubuntu 24.04 officially yet - the current Mesa shipping without adding the ppa will work (I use it on a 24.04 with 6700xt).

1 Like

Yes, Kisak has parity builds for 24.04, but states “not tested locally.”
Patches in Kisak gives me better performance on my 6650 in 4k than the stock Mesa, but agree that stock generally works. I’ve had no issues with Kisak to date.

1 Like