Doom 2016 working on Ubuntu-Gnome

WooHoo Srider, someone who trusts me! You’re Awesome!

and p.s. My brother who I first installed from your website 3-4 weeks ago (before I bought it), refusing to pay for it until a real Linux workaround emerged) just called me and He said that he has NOT played since I installed your version, so now my GUESS is it likely has some or all of the problems. I will let you know when he is at home and we can test it.

Cheers, Mark

p.s. now it’s more likely all this is not just on my machine and can really be of help to others and you, should you choose the challenge (my guess is you will)

Your Fellow Masochist, Mark

Just keeping this alive

a few notes for Doom with Ubuntu-Gnome

Sound Possible Fix - Started Stuttering
• For Ubuntu-Gnome / Lutris
‣ Checked - Reset Pulse-Audio in System Options
‣ Lutris / Doom ? Configure / Runner Options // >> Audio Driver (selected ALSA) as opposed to Default

• Game Crashing (but not often)
‣ Switched from 2.8 to 2.9 (Wine/Staging/64-bit), Working BETTER for sure! and
‣ Switched from XP to 7, in winecfg (surprising as POL and XOver always suggest XP)

• Again not sure if it was a fix but game visually was better (i think), Sound was clearer (very much so), perhaps the Reboot Solved this, but the other things at least did NOT hurt.

∘ As always - Trying to Help

Weird that you would need that “Reset Pulse audio” option for Wine games, did you try with the “Reduce Pulseaudio latency” option instead? (I added that option for Wolfenstein: The New Order, also a game from id Software so it might help)

You are RIGHT AGAIN. Just tried “Reduce PA Latency” and unchecked the other, and it seems to sound and run even better, Thanks, Mark

It’s almost as if I wrote the software you’re using :laughing:

Since your last update (lutris updated to 0.4.12. … the game gets past 4 screens and just before loading the game select screen it just goes gray with the cursor. Snif Snif.

I guess I am out of luck arghhh
edit
after 4 reboots, addling “+com_skipintrovideo 1” in steam options (then straight to gray screen, but at least avoids those first 5 screens - KINDA COOL),
no Luck
and then I tried putting my GTK+ theme back to default i.e. Adwaita (had set it to “MacBuntu-OS”) (the only different thing on my system since it was working) No luck, reboot no luck
THEN … FEWWWW!
tried running .EXE in the prefix option “DOOMx64.exe” and it worked!

it worked
it worked (I guess you see I am happy!!) I really wanted to get this working in Linux to prove to the world it can run as well or better than in Windows, and it does! Part of me assumed it would screw up (9 months trying!) … but it IS WORKING!

and NOT your Updates Fault !
and an interesting note (to me anyway) is that it was still running with the Vulkan option with “DOOMx64.exe”, I thought it needed “DOOMx64vk.exe” for vulkan?
what is the difference should you know? Just curious?

Anyway after trying it and rebooting into MacBuntu-OS it did NOT work AGAIN so the problem was indeed trying a new GTK+ theme!

Now it runs with either EXE or just by selecting play from Lutris

Problem Solved! I am SOOO Happy it was not Lutris’s fault as I am hoping for GREAT things from YOU!!

just FYI … I have been on a 9 year mission getting people into Linux (away from M$) and am tired, and you have done more in 1-2 years than I have in 9 !

TRULY THANKS!:slight_smile:

If there is anything I can do to help - just ask! I would be proud to help!

Take Care Strider/Mathieu Comandon - My new Hero!

Mark

So I now have it working again,

~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/DOOM/prefix

Runner options
Staging 2.10 with winecfg set to open (output) my audio through HDMI 7.1 Reciever (Greatly Improves)
Still need to “Disable Process Monitor” to stop crashing.

and still the oddest wine config for system still at 1.6.2 but works.

p.s and remember if you want to avoid a reboot you can try and …
“run EXE from this prefix”, which seems to solve many “hit and miss” issues,

Good Luck

(from Steam)

Lutris Save location WOW - Better Save as Cloud OFTEN Screws Up and a few tips
let this save location say it all
/home/ack/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/DOOM/prefix/drive_c/users/ack/Saved Games/id Software

and there are no less than 2 othe user folders to confuse anyone (within the Lutris runners)

for other tips see

as my 2-3 week indoctrination into Lutris has many tips and workarouns

and it is working bvetter in Lutris (Ubuntu-Gnome) than in windows (except for occassional freezes - mostly when shutting Down - so not a big problem)

Good Luck

Trying to help as alweays, Mark

I tried to play today and frames dropped to an unbearable 15 fps, low/med/high or ultra - all the same - odd??
tried 3 different nvidia driver and no difference. I changed my HDMI chord and the port to arc and it seems that it is after that. … but that makes no sense

any way if you have any suggestion - I would love to hear.

and on a happy side note - I am happy to see you took my suggestion and added a details window. I noticed as I installed a new version (no effect) , but it was sure nice to see the details running by. Had i seen those my first time I would likely have learned a lot sooner about Lutris - Good JOB Strider,

Cheers, Mark

Final Answer

This game is not at all reliable (to be nice)

For no reason from Ubuntu’s side (and yes this seems an impossibility), it just stops working.

I have reset it it to this exact configuration, and now it does not work.

Same on my Bros computer. After a 10 day kiting holiday, it stopped working on Both!

trust me - it is not worth the effort! Bethesda must be INTENTIONALLY allowing it to play at early levels then killing it for later - no other rational explanation, other than winehq has changed their code - unlikely.

For the record I am glad I made notes on my install and put it back to the exact config … and of course - no go.

Don’t waste your time … is my final conclusion

p.s. and on a side note (complaining that the standard (base) wine install on Ubuntu-Gnome and Ubuntu 16.04.(1&2) is wine 1.6.2 meta package … is moot, as this is the biggest Linux Distros, the Most popular Release, and the Most popular Linux Desktop Environment) … So simply stated (and of course one can and needs to install other versions - I get it) but it is what it is.
(I tried repos for dev / Staging / 2.0 / 2.12 / 2.13) not worth the hassle)
and wine 2.13 Staging has even been suspected of being hacked/screwed up/and not working etc. etc.