Doom 2016 working on Ubuntu-Gnome

What fixed my Doom 2016 Steam / Windows on Linux Ubuntu-Gnome … now working on 2 machines

my notes - simple copy/paste

"
Linux
∘ Runner Options (nothing their)
∘ System Options
‣ Restore Desktop Resolution when game quits (ONLY)
• all else default or Off

• Steam - Configure
∘ Runner Options / nothing checked
∘ System Options / SAA

• Wine
∘ Runner Options
‣ System 1.6.2 (default)
‣ all else default
∘ System Options / SAA

Wine Steam
∘ Runner Options
‣ 2.8 staging 64 for Doom
‣ Virtual Desktop 1080
‣ Custom Wine “None”
‣ Mouse Warp Over-ride - Force
‣ Strict Draw Ordering Enabled
‣ Output Debug - Enabled
∘ System Options / SAA
"

Just for the record yes it is working FINALLY, but can anyone help with it closing/crashing apparently intentionally??@#$? after less than 5 minutes of game play and ALWAYS just before the next save level - coincidence hmmmm?

I thought perhaps it was a steam issue - as is a common problem, so I opened steam first and unchecked anything and everything for notifications/ pop-ups/ etc, thinking this would solve it. Still crashes … I also tried an new save at the hardest level and it crashed too just before its first save.

The reason I suggest it is possibly intentional is that the game runs so well AND Bethesda has a hate on for Linux.

This could even change the world having Doom 2016 running better on Linux than Windows (Which it does … until it crashes.

I also don’t think it is a computer problem as it is running so well until then

Any help wold be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance , Mark :sunglasses:

If, like you say, the game is crashing after 5 minutes exactly then it may be a problem with the process monitor.

Go to the game’s system options in Lutris, check ‘Advanced options’ and check Disable process monitor and see if the game still crashes.

If this fixes the issue, we have to see why the process monitor isn’t picking up the Doom process, I’ve played through the whole game and haven’t had any problem of that kind.

And another point for others trying to install - I will elaborate on the 2 weird / counterintuitive solutions from my first post.

1/ It says it installs flawlessly but installs it into a Wine System 1.6.2 32 bit directory. This has 2 serious flaws. Steam opens with blank fields (grayed out) and the game cant run in a 32-bit prefix - RIDICULOUS!

Solution, was to
A/ in Lutris “Wine”
∘ Manage Versions, and
‣ add Wine Staging 2.8 64-bit

B/ in “Wine Steam”

• Configure
    ∘ Runner Options
    ‣ choose 2.8 staging 64 for Doom (change it from System 1.6.2)
    • Also this makes the blank steam page fixed)

C/ Leave it as System 1.6.2 for “Wine” - Odd but works.

D/ Also note that installs in ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix and NOT in “prefix64” as one would expect

Trying to help, Mark :slight_smile:

Note that changing Wine options will have absolutely no effect on the game, this is run with Wine Steam.

I’m looking at the Lutris installer and the wine prefix should be in Doom/prefix ,an additional wine prefix should automatically be created in the game’s folder.

Looking at your posts, it seems you didn’t use the lutris installer, you really should otherwise it makes support really hard for us.

Installer available here: https://lutris.net/games/doom/
(Note that you won’t have to redownload doom, this will only setup wine properly)

Strider thanks for your help … thanks A LOT! but no joy thus far.

Indeed[quote=“strider, post:5, topic:584, full:true”]
Note that changing Wine options will have absolutely no effect on the game, this is run with Wine Steam.[/quote]
I made it more clear in my above post that I only changed it “Wine Steam” but added the new wine version from “Wine”/“Manage Versions”

“I’m looking at the Lutris installer and the wine prefix should be in Doom/prefix ,an additional wine prefix should automatically be created in the game’s folder.”
yes the new Wine versions are in
~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/ (ex. doom-2.0-rc1-x86_64)
and the game is installed in
~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/DOOM$

“Looking at your posts, it seems you didn’t use the lutris installer, you really should otherwise it makes support really hard for us. "
Indeed i installed it from your website and only from your website on no less than 10 times before making the above changes made it playable. It did seem to install on my brothers computer (when I did it for him - without issue” This is where I investigated his settings and found the few anomalies.
p.s I don’t know if his crashes constantly as he has not told me

“Installer available here: https://lutris.net/games/doom/
(Note that you won’t have to redownload doom, this will only setup wine properly)”
I tried my 11th attempt and it still installed it with “Wine System 1.6.2” and would not launch, … I changed “Wine Steam” to 2.9 Staging 64bit which made it playable (note now I have tried 2.8 and 2.9 now), perhaps I should try a different one like …
Wine doom 2.0 rc1 64bit?

Any other suggestions welcome, Thanks Mark

and thanks again Strider

So first thing, forget about Wine 1.6, this is some ancient version you shouldn’t even have on your computer. Then, did you see my previous message about the process monitor? I suspect the issue is related to this.

Still Crashing, but thanks Strider.

w.r.t.
“Go to the game’s system options in Lutris, check ‘Advanced options’ and check Disable process monitor and see if the game still crashes.”

“If this fixes the issue, we have to see why the process monitor isn’t picking up the Doom process, I’ve played through the whole game and haven’t had any problem of that kind.”

I don’t see “Disable process monitor”
but in System Options (advanced), I see…
“Turn Off Monitors” with 2 options Off (default), and HDMI-1-1

nope still crashing arghhh but not in Windows of course - thanks in advance

Disable process monitor should be here if you check “advanced options” checkbox. Turn off monitors is a whole different thing, it’s not the same type of monitor :smiley:

What version of Lutris do you have? 0.4.11.1?

1 Like

WOOOHOOOO STRIDER is my HERO!!!

Out of Windows again - working FLAWLESSLY and way better than in WINDOWS

bye bye M$
next post for mundane solution

wait.

we haven’t fixed anything.

having a game crash because it’s not grabbed by the process monitor is not normal behavior.

so that was the issue? disabling the monitor fixed it? I can try reproducing it but that’s unlikely, I’ve play DOOM a lot and this has never come up. This may be a bug in the latest releases, I’ll have to check again.

the "check - Disable “Process Monitor” is indeed in “System Options” BUT almost invisible to me (or STUPID ME) but for others … one needs to scroll down past a large gray blank area which I ASSUMED was the end of the “Page”, but no there are a dozen or so more options which had the aforementioned …
“Disable process monitor”

SOLVED! SOLVED SOLVED!!!

Thanks SOO MUCH Strider!

WooHoo My Hero!

yeah, that blank area is the dll override widget, we need to restyle it because right now it doesn’t have any borders and it’s extremely confusing.

also, we’re in the process of redesigning lutris. we still have the config dialogs to do but this should get much better in lutris 0.5.x

Awesome and thanks.

I will post this on Steam for Linux and let Linux Rule. This should solve many newby questions/problems, which is what I was hoping for. Newbies need to have an easy time installing this to attract Windows Users to Linux.

The most popular game in Windows for 2016/2017 runs much better in Ubuntu-Gnome/Linux WOW - perhaps the world is changing finally!

And thanks to you Strider!

Cheers, Mark
markackerman8@gmail.com

but… but… I appreciate the compliment but the issue still resides. There’s a reason why that “Disable monitoring” option is hidden by default, it shouldn’t be needed most of the time!

Anyway, I’ll give DOOM a try and see what happens

Strider,

I am glad I could help.

and the post on Steam for Linux is getting a lot of hits - and many people have already said thanks to my tips for helping with the Lutris Learning curve. You are likely going to get a lot of new interest in Lutris from this, WOOHOO!

And trust me as an ex Flight Instructor - newbies (like me) can be a great tip for whats needed for other newbies, as experts can and often do lose sight of things that help user-friendliness. Just human nature.

Ask me for help any time!

Cheers, Mark
p.s I will make a succinct note of what I thought was weird/odd/ or counter-intuitive, I will draw it up from my notes for you.

Strider,

Lutris Improvements
‣ When I clicked install from your website it:
∘ 1/ Installed wine 1.6.2 making (as you now steam login entries greyed out and unusable for most users. I had wine-devel in my computer so it wasn’t from my side.
∘ 2/ It complained that it was not a 64-bit wine version
• and indeed the “Steam Wine” was also set to wine 1.6.2. This can confuse anyone.
• which one to upgrade to a 64-bit version (well now I know it’s needed ONLY in “Steam Wine”, NOT in Wine. This can CONFUSE ANYONE!
• and Perhaps Wine needs to be 32-bit- I still don’t know., but I upgraded it “Wine” to to NON-Staging 2.9 64-bit and all worked well.
∘ 3/ You should (in my opinion) have a users guide - and I sure could have used one, but cold NOT find one ANYWHERE in 20-30 web searches. It could really help!
∘ 4/ Also note that installs in ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix and NOT in “prefix64” as one would expect. Perhaps worn newbies about this.

I hope this helps, Mark

alright, I tested Doom, there are no process monitor issues, the problem is on your end.

Please don’t go around on the internet telling people to disable that option, these thing tend to stick for a while and then create false assumptions.

You definitely have something very weird with your setup.

∘ 1/ Installed wine 1.6.2 making (as you now steam login entries greyed out and unusable for most users. I had wine-devel in my computer so it wasn’t from my side.

Impossible, we don’t even have Wine 1.6 and the installer explicitly states Wine Staging 2.7 64bit, wine 1.6.2 is the default version shipped in ubuntu 16.04

∘ 2/ It complained that it was not a 64-bit wine version

On top of specifying a 64bit wine version, the installer also enforces a 64bit prefix.

• and Perhaps Wine needs to be 32-bit- I still don’t know., but I upgraded it “Wine” to to NON-Staging 2.9 64-bit and all worked well.

Yeah, I guess Doom can now run with the regular wine release. I still strongly recommend using Wine Staging for everything as a general rule.

∘ 3/ You should (in my opinion) have a users guide - and I sure could have used one, but cold NOT find one ANYWHERE in 20-30 web searches. It could really help!

The whole point of lutris is to not need guides, you click install, you wait for the game to install, you play

∘ 4/ Also note that installs in ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix and NOT in “prefix64” as one would expect. Perhaps worn newbies about this.

This is also impossible, the wine prefix is set by the installer to $GAMEDIR/prefix which should resolve to SteamApps/common/Doom/prefix, again, I have no idea how you got this.

Your whole experience is extremely weird, I don’t know what you’ve done or how but something is not right. Not saying it’s necessarily your fault, we may have an issue on our side but it’s not supposed to be like that.

Let’s assume it is something weird on my side, as on my brothers side it installed fine, I AM THINKING YOU ARE COMPLETELY RIGHT HERE,
I used his system to get mine to match
i.e. Linux, Steam, Wine, Wine Steam,

So now the rest of this is moot but I will for the sake of reality tell you of a few things you said are impossible yet DEFINITELY happened or are happening,
Yes and remember - I have NO reason to mislead you/ lie/ or give false info. This is solely for your info and others - should they run into the same problem, which until yesterday I assumed was likely, hence my input -

JUST TRYING TO HELP.

Having said that, I am even second guessing myself. !!! So lets have fun with my "WEIRD SETUP of mine.
So here are some FACTS, and deal with them as you wish
and only FACTS.

Now (as we speak)

prefix64, … in ~/home/ack/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam //
2,119 items, totaling 357.2 MB

prefix

in ~/home/ack/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam //
10,955 items, totaling 84.5 GB
Si it’s working but DEFINITELY living in
~/home/ack/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam\prefix

I guess you found the culprit perhaps Ubuntu-Gnome forced its’ own version, And trust me I spent 3 weeks on 2 setups with this simple fact. Was in in Ubuntu-Gnome / Tried UA Gaming Linux with Lutris preinstalled (but I installed Gnome-desktop as I despise Unity) and Finally Re-Installed Ubuntu-Gnome as it was getting messy with 2 DEs.

on all 3 installs and yes all 3 gdm and Gnome and Ubuntu
My first and only use of Lutris for this game - had never even heard of it before last month. Got it working on my bros as he loves the game- and yes
One click from your website all went fine Installed as it should !! I get this part HONESTLY

On mine every install left me with Steam 1.6.2 and those awful grayed out where I and to put in my info and had to memorize each stage, I can’t forget this. So I guess you get my point. And I apologize as now I am thinking it is a WEIRD anomaly with my rig.
And for the record - My brothers ASUS agrees with you (installed as one would expect) is ALSO Ubuntu-Gnome. So it is what it is,
But lets assume my rig force 1.6.2 over-riding your install script!

Sorry for assuming it was a problem with your installer - I am happy to be wrong here.

Yep Let’s leave it at that, unless you want to discuss it further - it is indeed “WEIRD”
and kinda cool,

Thanks for your help, and being patient with me when you had every reason to think i am an idiot or confused or even lying. You have been AWESOME!

And now I know even more so with this new knowledge.

Take Care Strider, and Thanks again,

Mark

p.s. [quote=“strider, post:18, topic:584”]
Yeah, I guess Doom can now run with the regular wine release. I still strongly recommend using Wine Staging for everything as a general rule.
[/quote] Perhaps you misunderstood My Wine is non-staging but my “Wine Steam” is Staging. I assumed they don’t have to match and indeed work well mismatched in my case. Kinda makes sense as one may need different versions for different games. just FYI

p.s.s And just my opinion to close … For me it wold have been great to see more info while installing, especially when it is for a huge file like Doom. This would give people piece of mind when they are new to Lutris and have uncertainty in the process.
An easy fix I suspect, but quite reassuring

Cheers

yeah, don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t assuming at any point that you would be lying, I know that everything you said is true.

I still have an ubuntu 16.04 install on another SSD, I can try to match that config of yours (with wine 1.6 installed) and see where it leads me.

The thing is, I never fully installed Doom from start to finish with the lutris script. I bought the game on release day and have been testing it every 2 weeks after that. I also believe that I was the 2nd person to play the game on Linux since I offered to help the guy who initially made the patches :smiley: But the thing is, I’ve always had a setup highly optimized to run that game, with the latest version of wine already installed, Steam properly setup and everything.

But the whole thing is probably not about Doom, there may be any issue possibly affecting any other game here. It requires more investigation.