Battle.Net font issue (DXVK related)

Hello, I have a issue with Battle.Net under Linux Mint 19, when DXVK is enabled it looks normal, but my gpu doesn’t support Vulkan, so I disabled DXVK and just doing this Battle.Net looks like this:

I’m using the recent Lutris, made all the proposed steps + installed winbind, which it was asked in the log. Also tried different distros and DM’s with same result, is there any workaround for this? Thanks in advance

If I disable dxvk, my Blizzard App looks fine. So I haven’t ever seen it. I have heard others having weird font issues before, but never heard about a solution. Did you install corefonts?

Which distro’s / DM did you use? (It prolly has nothing to do with that, but it might help narrow down in the future)

I had this issue and fixed it by installing mscorefonts. The process will vary depending on your operating system.

I think it can be done through winetricks but I usually just install it through the package manager for whatever distro I’m using rather than installing it for specific prefixes.

I tried several distros and de’s, starting with Ubuntu Mate 18.04, tried Debian 9 and 8, Ubuntu 18.04 and 16.04, Linux Mint 19 and 18 Kde, now I’m in Kubuntu 18.04, all gives same result. Installed mscorefonts from outside and inside lutris’s winetricks, nothing change. When I leave the default DXVK it really forces to Directx 9 since my gpu lacks Vulkan, and text is showing fine in this mode.

Wait, if your GPU lacks Vulkan why are you trying to use DXVK?

I’m using Debian9 and everything worked well until I started seeing the same font contorsion about 2-3 weeks ago after a battle.net update. Yesterday the update did not start and I reinstalled from lutris. The only option the lutris installer gave me was Dx11 with DXVK. So, Greyed, there is no alternative. The battle.net app hangs after login with the rotating logo and distorted fonts. My card doesn’t support DXVK so I disabled it but nothing changed. App still hangs.

Edit: Fixed the hang by deleting the agent data but update still not runs and fonts are still distorted.

Edit: Starting Lutris in debug mode shows endless repetitions of the same dxgi:d3d11 error.

002c:fixme:dxgi:d3d11_swapchain_Present1 Ignored present parameters 0x33c19c.
002c:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_immediate_context_OMSetBlendState Ignoring blend factor {5.49019635e-01, 5.25490224e-01, 5.01960814e-01, 1.00000000e+00}.
002c:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_immediate_context_OMSetBlendState Ignoring blend factor {5.49019635e-01, 5.25490224e-01, 5.01960814e-01, 1.00000000e+00}.

Edit again: Switched to pba-firerat-3.11-x86_64 and update started. Fonts still distorted.
After updating switched back to the default runner and game works fine. The hanging update might have been due to blizzard server problems. But the distorted fonts stay.

Configure the runner and disable DXVK?

Quoting myself: “My card doesn’t support DXVK so I disabled it.”

Apologies, missed that part.

Again, I can’t reproduce the font issue without DXVK. So something is different for you, perhaps something missing, I don’t know what. But please let us know if you find a fix at some point, and what it was.

If you think it is an issue with wine + dx11, open a bug report on winehq.org.

I’m having a similar issue. I get a crash report when Battle.net launches through Lutris. I’m able to force it to run from the terminal but it shows the same distorted fonts as pictured by Chenall71. I also tried disabling DXVK as someone mentioned which allows Battle.net to launch from Lutris with the same distorted fonts. This must be a font issue but I’m not sure which one. I’m on Ubuntu Bionic and have already installed mscorefonts. Any recommendations on which font could produce a conflict like this?

I have another system that is up and running the launcher and WoW perfectly with almost the same specs as this machine. Followed the instructions to a T so I don’t think I could have missed something.

Start looking at logs, instead of guessing.

Good idea. The log from my most recent run using the stock script settings is as follows:

wine: cannot find L"C:\windows\system32\winemenubuilder.exe"
[0930/070047.267:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(157)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
[0930/070047.322:ERROR:gpu_process_transport_factory.cc(1044)] Lost UI shared context.
WARNING: radv is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only.
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
info: Game: Battle.net.exe
info: DXVK: v0.80
warn: OpenVR: Failed to locate module
info: Enabled instance extensions:
info: VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2
info: VK_KHR_surface
info: VK_KHR_win32_surface
info: AMD RADV POLARIS10 (LLVM 6.0.0):
info: Driver: 18.0.5
info: Vulkan: 1.0.57
info: Memory Heap[0]:
info: Size: 3831 MiB
info: Flags: 0x1

I don’t know enough about wine to know how important those first three errors are. Any help would be much appreciated!

I normally use DXVK, but I was having issues getting WOW to launch. When I was playing around with it I disable DXVK, and the launcher looked like that until I enable DXVK.

I would suggest enabling DXVK, but that does not seem to be an option since your card does not support it.

I am using Antergos(Arch LInux), and it seems to have the same font problem unless using DXVK.

Thanks for the information! It does run on my card well, actually. This is a fresh install of Bionic. I installed Lutris, ran the script and had WoW up and running yesterday afternoon in the first go. The next time I tried to run it, Battle.net started crashing. So I’m confused and hopefully I can get it sorted out soon!

Thanks again!

Mine was crashing after hitting “Play” with DXVK Version .80, and only thing I remember I did was change the DXVK version to .64.

After launching on .64 and letting it bring up the game, it now works on version .80

I was able to work around the crash before that by launching from the wow.exe after the launcher installed and updated wow.

Today the game complained about a missing DLL. So I deleted, reinstalled, switched off dxvk, enabled pba, fixed the update hang by deleting battle.net program data and the game started again. Fonts still distorted of course. The only changes my system had when the distorsion started about 3 weeks ago was regular updates, among them kernel updates but no driver update as far as I remember.

I’m using radeon driver on a GCN1.0 card, debian9 with 4.18 liquorix kernel. Which kernel and graphic driver do you use on what card?

And @dxvk users, this thread is about font distorsion WITHOUT dxvk.

If you could look at apt logs from 3 weeks ago, perhaps we can narrow down what package it was you installed that made the fonts look weird.

Very interesting. I’ve tried to run battle.net on version .64 and .72 (works on my other machine) to no avail. I am, however, able to play WoW directly by select the .EXE file to run from Lutris. I’ll keep slogging at this with debug mode and see what I can come up with.