Z (Zod engine) Installation does not work (Hangs)

Hi, I’m new to the forum and just recently heard about Lutris. I love the idea and I tried to install one of my favorite RTS-classics: Z. https://lutris.net/games/z/

However, It doesn’t work. It hangs while installing displaying only a black terminal screen. After a few hours of waiting I decided to close the screen and it automatically opens again (see screenshot). Is there something wrong with the installation process?

I have an i7 with 12 GB RAM running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS so I don’t think that should be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Vmu

hi
I have not tried to install this game.
However, I notice there’s a requirement for ar(GNU coreutils), stated on the game page.
As an alternative there is an open source version on zod.sourceforge.net.
Hope that helps a little

did you get this working?

this was one of the biggest games of my childhood and I’d love to play it again.

Tried now. Failure.
It would not be hard to fix though. It’s using a linux runner.
There are instructions in the game folder as to requirements in a file called readme_linux.txt
basically the issue is the last time this game was updated was in 2013, it’s meant to run on Ubuntu 10.10…

shame, I did find Z on steam but it’s a poor port from a mobile version

you could install Ubuntu 10.10 inside a vm and run this game. I am pretty sure it would work easily

I downloaded the assets and src code from sourceforge and built it again for a newer version of Linux
it seems to run ok. but I ran out of time to test it tonight.

I tried, but it didn’t work. I ended up in a dependency hell. Most of the the dependencies are not compatible with Ubuntu 16.04. I have to little knowledge to fix the script. I hope someone else can get it to work.

Thanks for the tip though.

Same here, tried to make a Snap or Flatpak to prevent the dependency hell from happening. So far, no luck.

I hope you’ll get it to work :wink:

Thanks in advance.

Oh wow, this installer is a complete mess, no wonder it doesn’t work.

Please submit a script in lutris/buildbot/games/zod-engine if anyone needs a build hosted on lutris.net

1 Like

Where to start?