Writing an installer to install a game via Wine Steam but launch it natively in Linux?

There’s a number of games built with Ren’Py (e.g. Edepth Angel, Millia -The ending-) where the Steam version only supports Windows, so you have to download & install the game via Wine Steam, but the files include Linux executables, so you can play the game natively on Linux outside Steam. Is there a way to write an installer to automate this setup process, or do you have to configure the games manually?

Yes, just look up the $STEAM syntax in the installer documentation and look for examples such as Quake, 1, 2, 3, Unreal Tournament, Doom I & II. They all have similar installers.

At some point you might have to ask us to host a binary of Ren’Py on our server for those installers.

Wow, that was so much easier than I thought it would be! Thank you very much!

I don’t think hosting a Ren’Py binary would be necessary, but if I run into a case where it would be helpful, I will keep that in mind.

Hello, I can not find $STEAM syntax in the “installer documentation”, some could give me a link? Thanks.

files:
- steam-data: $STEAM:[APP NUMBER]:/
installer:
- merge:
    dst: $GAMEDIR
    src: steam-data

Will download the game for a specified Steam ID (or fetch the game files if they’ve already been downloaded) and copy the content from the Steam install directory.

Also possible to use $WINESTEAM instead of $STEAM, but I don’t think it’s needed anymore as you can download anything with SteamPlay.

1 Like

Hello Kimchitea,
I follow your indications, but it still doesn’t work, no files copied from Steam…

Could you take a look at my script and say me where is the error?
https://lutris.net/games/rollercoaster-tycoon-3-platin-steam/installer/edit

I don’t think I’m seeing the right script, could you copy & paste it here? Thanks.

custom-name: RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 - Steam
files:
- rtc3-data: $STEAM:2700:/
game:
  exe: drive_c/RCT3/rtc3.exe
  prefix: $GAMEDIR
installer:
- task:
    arch: win64
    description: Preparing wineprefix...
    name: create_prefix
- merge:
    dst: $GAMEDIR/drive_c/RTC3
    src: rtc3-data
- task:
    key: csmt
    name: set_regedit
    path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\
    type: REG_DWORD
    value: '00000000'
- task:
    key: background
    name: set_regedit
    path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors\
    type: REG_SZ
    value: 0 0 0
wine:
  Desktop: true

Hmm, I’m not sure. Maybe try $WINESTEAM instead of $STEAM and see if that’s the problem?