Wow crash at login screen

Hello! I know there are many posts with this problem, I’ve been taking a look but I can’t seem to find the answer.
First of all, I’m new to Linux and I would love to post my logs (I also checked ‘read before ask’) but I can’t use lutris --submit-issue, “command not found”, it says. If someone can help me to get that I’ll post them.

Some info I can give though if I’m using a laptop with Linux Mint 21.3, Nvidia Geforce GT 525M and CPU intel i5.

So I have Lutris 0.5.17 and installed battlenet on it. Through that bnet I installed Wow retail, bnet works perfectly but when I try to run wow it starts the cinematic, I press esc to skip it and it goes to a black screen, music keeps playing for a while and then it crashes.

I tried to run it with different runner options: wine-ge, GE-proton, Proton experimental, hotfix, etc. Same results. I also followed a guide to install winestageHQ. At this point I don’t know what to try anymore. Do someone have a suggestion?

I haven’t played WoW in a while, but did have it running - for starters, I wouldn’t use wine staging for my system wine, better to use wine-stable. And keep the default runner options - try disabling options instead of enabling more. I don’t think WoW needs a lot to run.
Can you run glxgears from a terminal? if not, install it: sudo apt-get install mesa-utils

here’s some stuff that helps me out when things go south;
-=-=-=-=Wine GLX error fixes-=-=-=-=
sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386
sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-glx
sudo apt install libgl1:i386

-=-=-If I loose GLX-=-=-
ubuntu-drivers devices
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

It seems when you installed Lutris, it should have done all that, but I’ve had updates that would remove it

Hey thanks! It worked! - partially.

Well, technically. I finally got it to run, I opened glxgears and it shows 58FPS, although that isn’t actually real, it looks more like a power point than an actual game.
It’s running with minimum graphic options and I think part of why it’s running so bad it’s my pc being a pile of garbage. (I’m pretty sure it was better on windows so this pc should be capable of running the game on decent FPS)
Thing is it’s “Compiling shaders…” and game is pretty unplayable.
I don’t know if this has something to do but I’ve been checking options in game options and when it comes to GPU it doesn’t show my nvidia for some reason, it shows “Auto detect” and “IIvmpipe (LLVM 17.0.6. 256 bits)”.

Don’t give up on it, I still think you can get your WoW running better - I had similar issues with my Everquest emulator clients and got them working perfectly on older versions of Wine.
Try installing PlayOnLinux, it will install pretty much any version of Wine you want in a prefix of its own, so it won’t interfere with your current Wine.
PlayOnLInux is very good to have, I also run various old windows apps with it.

google this:
“what wine version for WoW”
That will show you what version wine you could use.

I don’t think your version if NVidia GPU is compatible with Vulkan, so probably better to avoid it.
NVIdia has a list of its cards that support Vulkan;

You’d also need to install any dependencies it needs, you can google that too - I think DX9 or DX11 pending on the version you play
I’ve played a lot on my Linux laptops, not as fast as a desktop with a good graphics card, could they would play well.

Wine version for WoW is set in the install script for Battle.net.

OP,

+ button on lutris title bar → search for Game on Lutris → world of warcraft.

This will create a link in Lutris to allow you to launch BNet with wow as the selected game. We will then edit this to point directly to WoW.exe not BNet

Right click the new World of Warcraft entry → configure → game options tab

In the executable field navigate to your wow.exe file (not the wow launcher.exe) and select this as the target exe. Remove any entries in the Arguments field and press save

This should launch you straight into wow where you need to sign in etc - this workaround should be fixed in the next release of lutris - it is annoying “feature” of how battle.net works on lutris with multiple gpus