I’ve been running WoW on my rig for months without issue. There’s obviously a bit of a performance loss compared to running on Windows but it’s been great. After a recent driver update (I assume…) it’s suddenly been stuttering to the point of being almost unplayable. It stutters and locks up completely for the first couple of minutes of loading, then runs smoothly with stuttering when I turn the camera around. Eventually it starts to stabilize and only drop out every 30 seconds or so.
It’s running with the esync-staging-pba-3.17-x86_64 and DXVK 0.93. The odd thing is, since it’s been running poorly, when it does run well, I get upwards of 90+ frames easily depending on my location (lowest is a consistent 18 fps in Boralis). Any ideas? My specs are posted below:
Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 3.50GHz (8 Cores), Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,
Chipset: AMD RD9x0/RX980, Memory: 8192MB, Disk: 250GB Samsung SSD 850 + 1000GB Seagate
Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570 (POLARIS10 DRM 3.23.0 4.15.0-42-generic
LLVM 7.0.1) 4096MB, Audio: Realtek ALC889, Monitor: VE228, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 +
Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless
OS: Ubuntu 18.04, Kernel: 4.15.0-42-generic (x86_64), Desktop: KDE Frameworks 5, Display Driver:
modesetting 1.19.6, OpenGL: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.0-devel (git-cc6a5e9 2018-12-08 bionic-oibaf-ppa), File-
System: ext4, Screen Resolution: 1920x1080
I’ve got the same problem with stuttering. I am using Ubuntu 18.04 with an AMD Radeon RX 580, which is similar to your case. I’ve also been running WoW for the last couple of months and recently noticed severe stuttering, when there was none or slightly while changing the zone.
I think it has something to do with the Vulkan driver. Do you, by the way, use the following repository:
ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers? Here you can see a tutorial which I used to get WoW running (https://linuxconfig.org/install-and-test-vulkan-on-linux), because otherwise, it wouldn’t start. Maybe with time, the problem will be resolved.
Is this micro-stuttering? Could be a rebuild of the texture cache. This should go away after a while of play.
Thanks for the replies. I very much appreciate your time.
After a couple of days of odd behaviour, it appears to have resolved itself. It must have been related to a Vulkan update or something like this.
@Nathean, yes, I do use ppa:oibaf which gives me the git-based updates seemingly every 12 hours or so. I hope yours has improved as well. I’d like to hear if you’ve seen any improvement on your end as well.
@schotty, generally it seems like micro-stuttering except for on launch when it was locking up entirely for several seconds to a couple of minutes. Something about its behaviour, though, still makes me think it is rebuilding the cache. Perhaps there was an update that cleared the cache and required a rebuild?
Anyway, thanks again for your help! Happy gaming.
@schotty I think it was more than micro-stuttering, or the texture cache was not saved correctly? Mainly because whenever I changed the camera angle, WoW would freeze for 1-2 seconds, several times. It was almost unplayable, you had to keep your camera straight. Not to mention the freeze at launch.
@Atraisce The problem seems to have been solved for now. Since the repository is updated every 12 hours, I think it is best to find a stable release to the Vulkan driver. Do you know of any? Because, as I said in the previous message, the default drivers in Ubuntu 18.04 repository are not working with WoW.
@Nathean, I had the same issue with the standard Mesa/Vulkan repos not working on 18.04 so I will continue to use the oibaf builds. While it likely created some trouble for us in the short term, I like having instant access to the newest builds.
Potentially also relevant to our issue: I was having some trouble with strange square-shaped shadow artifacts around stationary object shadows (trees, buildings, etc.) but with the recent update, these have been eliminated as well. Anyway, I’m glad you’re troubles have ceases as well. I guess we can close the thread if that’s all.
The freezing is intermittent.
I had the transparent “walls” in my garrison but they disappeared after 2 or 3 minutes.
Blizzard seemed to have fixed the memory over commit issue on the PTR. It was impossible to load any char since 8.0.1 PTR. But that seems great now.
I think it all might have something to do with the game data and folders merging.
Things seem to be working towards an installation build that looks something like :
Z:\World of Warcraft_retail_…
I already had to adjust my game executable settings in lutris- Trying to play the PTR kept breaking on an error; telling me the game needs to update, until I directed it to the …_ptr_\ subdirectory.
And I had to fix some addons by making symlinks “Addons”, “AddOns” & “addons” in my …\Interface… directories.
Things seem to work. The US realms show offline but that in itself is an indication that things are ok so far.