World of Warcraft not Starting [Solved]

Thank you so much everybody! I had the same problem today, and updating to wine 5.7 also fixed the issue for me. I haven’t found any new ones so far either, but haven’t been able to test much yet.

@ForeGone – I have the German (de_DE) keyboard layout as well, and pressing v gives me a v as expected. Producing an ö with that key seems pretty weird to me. Like, that letter isn’t even in the vicinity?!

May I ask what distro, DE and system language you are using?

Probably an error on my side then…

I switched to Linux about 3 month ago and install Lutris and the runner for the bnet-launcher. All worked perfect right out of the box. (Wow + Overwatch)

Since then I only played overwatch which at this point also runs flawless. What I noticed though was, that after I switched my GPU from gtx 970 to gtx 1080 the compilation of the shaders takes about 20 times as long as before. After that the game runs at 95fps which is nice.

I tried to switch to WoW yesterday and the game didnt event start. I googled around and found a post here where it is said I should increase my wine version. I swtiched from 5.4 to 5.6 and 5.7. Overwatch ran good on all, but I noticed that I always have to reinstall some .NET stuff.

Wow at least started again with 5.7 after three tries, but then I stuck where only half of everything is rendered and I can not move (or at least it apears so the charakter in fact really moves but I only notice this after a relog). When I try to close the windows my OS says it does not respond so I have to kill it and afterwards I get the error report popup from blizzard.

It surprises me that a more high definition game like Overwatch runs flawless and the older and lower grafics game WoW not(no more). When I inspect the runners for Wow and Overwatch seperately I noticed that there are slightly differences.
Does this mean I have to install the launcher for every game specificly?
What could be the reason WoW does not run after a couple of month while Overwatch still does?
Is it normal for the shaders to be compiled like for 10-15 minutes even though I have a high performance GPU? (Or is it because of the performance that it compiles so long?)

Does this mean I have to install the launcher for every game specificly?

Yes you should. Every game might need its own settings. WoW classic and retail can go together but the rest should stay separate. I’d try installing a separate launcher and see whether things improve.

Also, please open a separate topic for your separate issue and do not hijack another topics.

Sorry I only just saw your reply… my system is Kubuntu 19.10, system language is en_GB, but locale and keyboard layout is de_DE. Does that help?