Won't open anymore on pop_os

I’m pretty sure my lutris install is messed up. When i tried to load via command line i’m getting:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/games/lutris", line 54, in <module>
    from lutris.gui.application import Application  # pylint: disable=no-name-in-module
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/gui/application.py", line 37, in <module>
    from lutris.game import Game
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/game.py", line 23, in <module>
    from lutris.runners import InvalidRunner, import_runner, wine
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/runners/wine.py", line 11, in <module>
    from lutris.runners.commands.wine import (  # noqa: F401 pylint: disable=unused-import
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/runners/commands/wine.py", line 16, in <module>
    from lutris.util.wine.prefix import WinePrefixManager
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/util/wine/prefix.py", line 6, in <module>
    from lutris.util import joypad, system
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/util/joypad.py", line 10, in <module>
    import evdev
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 655, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 618, in _load_backward_compatible
  File "<frozen zipimport>", line 259, in load_module
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/evdev-1.3.0-py3.8-linux-x86_64.egg/evdev/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/evdev-1.3.0-py3.8-linux-x86_64.egg/evdev/device.py", line 8, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/evdev-1.3.0-py3.8-linux-x86_64.egg/evdev/ecodes.py", line 77, in <module>
NameError: name 'BTN' is not defined

I installed using the package manager originally (pop_shop), tried to roll back a version and now it seems it hosed. Anybody know of a way to completely remove it and start from scratch? When i use apt to remove it or the package manager each time i reinstall it i’m getting the same errors.

** Edit **
Day 2 of not being able to get this to work at all.

I’ve gone back through my /var/log/apt/history.log and looked at the installs / removals leading up to lutris failuer. I’m trying to reverse the damage and hopefully just remove lutris completely and get the system in a state at which i can reinstall it.

Based on my install history i started pulling packages off in this order.

sudo apt-get remove python-pillow
sudo apt-get remove lutris
sudo apt-get remove python3-magic
sudo apt-get remove pipenv
sudo apt-get remove python3-pip
sudo apt-get remove python3-setuptools

After removing the packages and attempting to re-add lutris the issue remains. I guess back to research. I must say IF I get this working again, i’m locking lutris updates down and never touching it again.

Edit: Sorry - I just noticed the import evdev - but I don’t have it for my 5.8, unless Lutris has its own evdev. I Installed evdev from repos and it seems to run fine.

Have you installed an extra evdev somewhere? Remove and reinstall with pip3?
My installed 1.3.0 goes to /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/evdev, rather than the path above.

That being the case, and if you require evdev for something else, you’re going to have to give Lutris an isolated environment until that conflict is tracked down and fixed.

Or edit /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/util/joypad.py
And get it to throw instead of importing, until fixed. When you install the new version, it’ll get updated anyway.

1 Like

XDqAtG5A8g I owe you a beer!

pip uninstall evdev

Lutris now launches. Ty so much! I’m not really a python guy so pip / evdev / python modules is all greek to me.

edit Thanks again, I was able to roll back the lutris build and now my guild wars 2 runners work again. Yay, now i’ll just lock lutris down to prevent updating it in the future.