WINE version mismatch

Hi folks!

While I have the Lutris runtime active and want to run a game, this comes in the terminal:

wine client error:0: version mismatch 556/561.
Your wineserver binary was not upgraded correctly,
or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH.
Or maybe the wrong wineserver is still running?
sh-4.4$ 

Now I have duckduckgoed a bit and this means that a wine client tries to connect to a wine server of a different version. This sounds comprehensible, but I don’t know what to do now.

For running games, I can just deactivate the Lutris runtime and the game runs fine. On the other hand, I just cannot install new games, because there this error prevails. Also, I’m not a fan of workarounds.

Now I want to see where wine is:

$ whereis wine
wine: /usr/bin/wine /usr/lib/wine /usr/include/wine /usr/share/wine /usr/share/man/man1/wine.1.gz

So in my understanding, one of these files might be the problem. Am I right? But I still don’t know what to do.

E.g. I use the esync-3.13 and esync-3.12, but via my package manager I have installed wine-staging 3.13.1-1. So there would be a version difference. But it worked wonderful before that. Why is this error happening now?

So what can I do to fix this problem? Is there a known fix for it?

I’m running on Arch Linux, all up-to-date, i7-4970k with a GTX1080. If you need any further information, please don’t hesitate to ask!

1 Like

There’s a fix for this in the upcoming release. Please use lutris-git and switch to the normal one once it’s out.

1 Like

Thanks for the information!