Wine Steam runner

Hello,

I’ve installed Steam in a Wine prefix other than ~/.wine. And I want to use this Steam installation for the “Steam Wine” runner in Lutris so I choose ~/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam in the “Custom Steam location” of the runner configuration. But Lutris always act as if the “Steam Wine” runner is not installed at all and I can’t use it for manually add a game.

The problem comes from me or Lutris?

Lutris doesn’t use ~/.wine by default, it uses ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix. While it is possible to change this prefix per game, this is different from the custom Steam location in the options.

Your ~/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/ prefix will never be used (unless you set it manually for every Steam game), what really matters is the location of the Steam folder, which can reside anywhere you want.

1 Like

OK so if I want to install Steam myself, I have to use the ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix prefix?

Exactly, but once this is done, you can move around the Steam folder where ever you want.

OK thanks, I’ll try ^^

I struggled to get wine steam to even load, in the end I ended up setting up some variables for WINE, WINESERVER and WINEARCH and pointing to the binaries under ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/VERSION-i386.

Then I followed this guide here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=19444 with WINEPREFIX pointing to ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix and using the binary for winetricks at /usr/share/lutris/bin/winetricks.

Now wine steam is loading and I can log in at least but the apps are not appearing in Lutris (that is the next piece I need to figure out) but they are appearing under the native Steam but are uninstallable.

I hope this helps somewhat

What I found out is that Lutris script for the runners does not support x86_64 arch.

I was looking around on the scripts, and I found that there lutris only handles winesteam with 32-bit. Here is how I found out:

I looked around on /usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/lutris/runners/runner.py (I am on Solus so my Lutris scripts might be a bit different). And I actually found out that that script sets on default the i368 architecture, first I thought is to install 32-bit on 64-bit. After hours of thinking I read the script more and the script mentions a post to a API (post/get) “https://lutris.net/api/runners”. With this I searched for “winesteam” (the name for the runner) and found out that this particular runner does not have a 32-bit or 64-bit versions so the script don’t know how to handle it and just puts the 32-bit version as default.
For winesteam there should be a specific instance where if “winesteam” is installed (and if your architecture is 64-bit) it should install a 64-bit version of wine.

As I have to do now is to install manually a wine on my computer, link that version to this wine to play it on Lutris, but that kind of defeats the point to having Lutris in the first place.