I’ve installed Steam in a Wine prefix other than
~/.wine. And I want to use this Steam installation for the “Steam Wine” runner in Lutris so I choose
~/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam in the “Custom Steam location” of the runner configuration. But Lutris always act as if the “Steam Wine” runner is not installed at all and I can’t use it for manually add a game.
The problem comes from me or Lutris?
Lutris doesn’t use ~/.wine by default, it uses
~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix. While it is possible to change this prefix per game, this is different from the custom Steam location in the options.
~/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/ prefix will never be used (unless you set it manually for every Steam game), what really matters is the location of the Steam folder, which can reside anywhere you want.
OK so if I want to install Steam myself, I have to use the
Exactly, but once this is done, you can move around the Steam folder where ever you want.
I struggled to get wine steam to even load, in the end I ended up setting up some variables for WINE, WINESERVER and WINEARCH and pointing to the binaries under ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/VERSION-i386.
Then I followed this guide here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=19444 with WINEPREFIX pointing to ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix and using the binary for winetricks at /usr/share/lutris/bin/winetricks.
Now wine steam is loading and I can log in at least but the apps are not appearing in Lutris (that is the next piece I need to figure out) but they are appearing under the native Steam but are uninstallable.
I hope this helps somewhat
What I found out is that Lutris script for the runners does not support x86_64 arch.
I was looking around on the scripts, and I found that there lutris only handles winesteam with 32-bit. Here is how I found out:
I looked around on
/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/lutris/runners/runner.py (I am on Solus so my Lutris scripts might be a bit different). And I actually found out that that script sets on default the i368 architecture, first I thought is to install 32-bit on 64-bit. After hours of thinking I read the script more and the script mentions a post to a API (post/get) “https://lutris.net/api/runners”. With this I searched for “winesteam” (the name for the runner) and found out that this particular runner does not have a 32-bit or 64-bit versions so the script don’t know how to handle it and just puts the 32-bit version as default.
For winesteam there should be a specific instance where if “winesteam” is installed (and if your architecture is 64-bit) it should install a 64-bit version of wine.
As I have to do now is to install manually a wine on my computer, link that version to this wine to play it on Lutris, but that kind of defeats the point to having Lutris in the first place.