Why script doesn't ask for setup exe file

Hi,

I have two GOG games, bioshock infinite and frostpunk. When I launch the bioshock install from the lutris site, lutris then ask me for the path of the bioshock setup.exe. But when I launch the frostpunk install from lutris site, it show me a GOG login screen. However if I look at the script source code, script are almost identical, both start with:

files:

• setup: N/A:Select the game’s setup file

I’m puzzled at how the behavior can be different, please help me :slight_smile:

Thank you

1 Like

I’m having a similar issue. Installers aren’t asking for the executable file, for games. They just lock up. And a manual installation doesn’t allow the game to run. So far this has happened on Sim Copter, Evil Genius, and Shattered Steel for me.

Since this is happening on multiple installers, I was beginning to think the program got corrupted. Does anyone know of a way to repair your lutris install? Or do you need to remove then re-install the program?

If you compare the full install scripts (click the ‘download’ link to access), you’ll find fields gogid and gogslug. In the Bioshock script they’re falsey (null and "" respectively, both are considered by JavaScript and Python as no-value in yes/no context), in Frostpunk script they have proper values. This is the reason why they have different behaviour; if you download the Frostpunk script and replace gogid/gogslug by hand, then run it with lutris -i, it’ll behave like the Bioshock one.

1 Like

This was the explanation! I’ve modified the script and it’s currently installing.

Thank you very much, and thanks for lutris because this allow me to play so many of my games that was not working on simple wine before :slight_smile:

I am not sure if this is the same issue as I am having. A lot of GOG games I try to install seem to download the GOG installer for you but then it fails to install properly and find the .exe at the end of the process. I found this thread and had a look at the script and I cannot notice any of the same issues in the code. Does anyone know a fix for this issue?

Note I have noticed this with a handful of games I tried yesterday. I do not have issues if the Lutris installer prompts for the path to the setup files (Quake 4 is like this and works fine).
World in conflict
Star wars galactic battlegrounds
Ori and the blind forest
Medal of honor allied assault

My guess would be that the script does not point to the executable. You should be able to correct this by right-clicking on the game, selecting ‘Configure’, then go to the ‘Game Options’ tab, and changing the path to the executable to the path that you have on your computer.

Ideally, the script writer will include the default path to the executable that the GOG installer uses so other users can do a default install without changing things. But it’s easy to make mistakes. And sometimes GOG changes the installer after the script was created.

I was hoping it was this easy as a solution but the Lutris installer does not seem to actually install or extract any of the game files to anywhere which I think may be a part of the problem with the process of Lutris downloading the installer for you. Having downloaded it yourself then providing the path to the installer that is fine. I will try to extract or copy the files from Windows and see if I can just copy paste the game files themselves into the Wine path.
EDIT:
Ok that works fine by copying the files manually to the games Wine path. I still would like to find a proper fix for this though if anyone knows how to get logs to provide to the devs.