Where is mono-runtime installed?

When installing some game wine will ask to download and install mono-runtime.

Where is it installed?
How do I uninstall it?
How do I update it?

I assume this is specific to wine not Lutris, but I’m sure you know something about this.

Hi,

Mono is a drop-in to provide old (.NET 4.x and lower) functionality without needing to install the Windows native .NET packages using WINE.

There are two Mono flavours, really: -

1. The “mono-runtime” package, probably from your distro, from “The Mono project”
    It provides Mono, and auto-installs into new WINE prefixes when it knows .NET is required - you are seeing that prompt. The package gets updated, but distros will lag behind packages available from the mono project.

2. WINE mono from winehq - Download and install it (MSI) into a prefix where you need .NET 4.x support.

You can remove the mono-runtime packages (along with a load of libmono* packages,) but that may break things you have installed that use it.
Mono gets updated with your distro packages, but those will lag behind the mono project. Do not worry about your prefixes unless you have a problem, or new Mono versions have functionality that you need.

If you are finding Mono doesn’t work for a game or application, you can always install .NET 4.x manually into a prefix with winetricks, and it will do a “remove_mono” before it starts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for point 1, you have answered something I wondered about how it works, so it work only for new prefixes, that’s why my distro’s mono wasn’t recognized, cool.

And btw I figured out it gets installed in C:\Windows directory.