When to enable DXVK

I assumed that If a game runs with DXVK enabled, you would get better performance. However, I just tried the installer I wrote for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Ultimate Edition from GOG with DXVK enabled. During the intro cinemas, my FPS sits around 144. However, when starting a game, it plummets to less than 4! Disable DXVK and it runs at a minimum 60+ with all settings maxed at 2560x1440. How do you know when should you enable DXVK for a game? Is it just trial and error?

In most cases performance with dxvk should be better.There might be few games working worse with dxvk.I recommend checking if you have latest gpu and vulkan drivers.If you need you can find installation instructions here https://linuxconfig.org/install-and-test-vulkan-on-linux .

Thanks. I believe I have the latest drivers installed. I do have games, such as The Witcher, installed which use DXVK and run fine. That’s why I was so surprised.

It might be a bug in DXVK. If you report it in their issue tracker it might get fixed.

It looks like there was a bug earlier this year where that game didn’t even get past the loading screen. Maybe there are still improvements to be made.