What is the mesa-demo package needed for?

tl;dr : I wan’t to get rid of mesa-demo and I need to konw if it will brake Lutris.

Using arch with i3 and dmenu, I have the problem that the mesa-demo package contains a “fire” comand which shows a triangly fire burning. The problem of that is that when I open dmenu to start firefox I have to type many more letters that would be otherwise needed since I need to go past the ‘fire’ part of firefox. That is why I wondered if I could remove the Fire comand or the mesa-demo Package all together. Lutris is the only think that depends on it that is on my system. (https://www.archlinux.de/packages/extra/x86_64/mesa-demos)

Thanks a lot for your help.

(Personal Info:
Timezone UTC+1
Kernel: 5.4.8-arch1-1
Uptime: 4 hours, 12 mins
Packages: 881 (pacman)
Shell: bash 5.0.11
Resolution: 2560x1440
WM: i3
Terminal: urxvt
CPU: Intel i7-7700K (8) @ 4.500GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Memory: 3204MiB / 32049MiB
)

It will be a “dependency” for Lutris because of glxinfo, otherwise you don’t really need mesa-demos.

Keep it, and if you want to get rid of the “fire” command, just rename /usr/bin/fire. It would come back if mesa demos is upgraded. Simply rename it again (can delete the old renamed one in that case) if it gets in your way.

1 Like

Thanks a Lot, that’s a Perfect Idea with the rename. Didn’t think of it

mesa-demo is a collection of opengl tests/demos . Its mostly to test if opengl works/get gpu/drivers info from glxinfo.

1 Like