What happened to world of Warcraft FPS?

Hey everyone

I am trying to figure out what happened to my World of Warcraft FPS. I used to get amazing FPS, I could play Ashran without any problems, and I was consistently getting 90+ frames in all situations. But a few months ago things changed, blizzard released some kind of update, or something changed somewhere with video drivers now I am getting subpar FPS. I average around 50-40 in oribos, and even when I do arena I get some nasty stuttering when too many spells go off. BGs and Raids are somehow alright but depending on what is happening my fps drops to as low as 10.

No idea what happened here

Right now I am on wine Staging 6.16
and my DXVK version is v1.9.1L

when i try switching these around to different version my game doesnt work, maybe I am just choosing the wrong settings?

Can anyone share what their current setup looks like, or what tweaks I might want to do to get my game running more optimally.

So far I have tried disabling all my addons, disabling esync, reducing my settings, no luck, so I am fairly sure this is a graphical issue. Even with all my addons disabled the game still feels somehow slower than what it used to be.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Same as the other thread - what hardware and kernel do you have?

Apologies, should have back-scrolled before posting, although I think my issue is a bit different still since I am not experiencing the exact same symptoms as the other person.

Host: B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI
Kernel: 5.14.2-arch1-2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (16) @ 3.700GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Memory: 16GB

WoW did add some new settings for graphics - might want to revisit them to check they are what you wanted…
This command provides a lot more system information which can help narrow down what might be the issue:

inxi -GSC -xx

Do you have manhohud installed?

Oribos is a nightmare since the new patch dropped and the new raid wings opened up. Pick a flight path (I use Pridefall Hall to Sinfall) to benchmark your performance. This is a starting point (Oribos changes depending on time of day and no. of people logged into the battle group) to see how any changes from here affect your performance. Some items I use are a tkg kernel and wine-staging-tkg with fsync enabled. You might be able to use xanmod as well.

Yes I have mangohud, using it right now to troubleshoot my fps issue. I will also look at inxi as a troubleshooting tool to help me out.

These alternative kernels sound like interesting options for me to try out I will read up further on tkg and xanmod and try out one of them. tkg looks interesting maybe I should try that first, how has your experience with it been?

Also if I start running tkg do I need to reinstall my wine dependencies, since tkg has its own version of wine. Should the kernel be able to find everything it needs once it is up and running? I Have not really toyed around with alternative kernels that much aside from lts as a fallback option so I am not so knowledgeable on the specifics. If you could recommend any resources for getting custom kernels that would be highly appreciated.

TKG Kernel is what I use with bmq option - I have been running some form of this kernel for 12 months now. I do need to compile it, but the compile scripts are pretty straight forward. I pair it with either GloriousEggroll Proton for Steam, the Lutris fshack runner or tkg custom Wine. With a patched Kernel, it is possible to enable fsync. Before you drop in any of these, try setting the runner to lutris-ge-lol-6.16-lol in lutris.

Need to see what version of nVidia drivers you are running, this can have a large impact on performance. I don’t have an nVidia card atm so I can’t help much with this. Also, I run dx12 so hopefully someone else running the dx11 setting might have some other ideas.