What does this mean: wine client error:0: version mismatch 554/555

Yo, when trying to launch League of Legends, I get this error in the terminal:

wine client error:0: version mismatch 554/555.
Your wineserver binary was not upgraded correctly,
or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH.
Or maybe the wrong wineserver is still running?
sh-4.4$

I currently use pba-firerat-3.9 on it, which I also run for Elder Scrolls Online - but this game launches just fine.

I can’t see any wineserver in my htop tho.

What does this error mean and how can I fix it?

Hi, check https://github.com/lutris/lutris/issues/903

1 Like

Ok, I get the error and with using another WINE version I can play my game. But why does it work on some games, but on others not?

Or maybe better asked: Why doesn’t this error occure on every game I use it?

depends on what wine version your game uses if its higher then your system one you’ll see this error.

System is wine-staging 3.10, so this should be higher

But still: On one game the error appears, on the next game not. My system version doesn’t change magically

You can disable lutris runtime thats the workaround for now.
Actually even having diffrent wine versions (lutris system) can reproduce the bug.

Indeed, I have disabled it for the working game. So good to know how to “solve” it

But the linked issue looks that it’s worked on, so good news :slight_smile:

Thanks for helping out!

No probelem :wink:

late to the party, but check wine’s manpage

WINESERVER
Specifies the path and name of the wineserver binary. If not set, Wine will try to load /opt/wine-staging-pba/bin/wineserver, and if this doesn’t exist it will then look for a file named “wineserver” in the path and in a few other likely locations.

you will need to add

export WINESERVER=/path/to/runner/bin/wineserver
to the launch script ( but honestly, I’m guessing I have never use lutris )

tbh , not sure why the system wine would be getting in the way.

Thanks Firerat!

If the problem occurs again, I try to fiddle around with that. Maybe there is some typo in the start script for this variable.

BTW, any plans on your pba release for 3.10? DXVK now requires 3.10 and with your WINE I’m running the best for my games for now :slight_smile:

Edit: not sooner had I posted this, I got confirmation 3.10 is available in Lutris

I don’t build for Lutris
I only added a small patch to PBA to allow tweaking heap sizes so it would work on my laptop
Turns out it is also useful for 32bit clients where the default heap sizes put too much pressure on the 32bit address space.

BUT
see this post

I have added to my script which keeps PBA updated , so now it will push wine source, pre-patched with PBA, to gitlab.
So I you should see a new version soon. I expect 3.11 to be released this weekend

I do push my personal build to

I have not got round to automating that yet, but I usually update that same day of release.

if you do not use Debian, you could try extracting the packages manually

e.g.
ar xo wine-staging-pba_3.10.0-1_amd64.deb data.tar.xz
tar xf data.tar.xz
but I doubt it will work, your best be is to just compile wine yourself :wink:

1 Like

Wow thanks for your work! Gonna fiddle around with that on the weekend