Back to the main site

Warcraft III has very bad performance


#1

Hi folks!

I have no idea when exactly this happened, but my Warcraft III Frozen Throne has very poor performance for my setup

It worked superfine before that, mentioning I have an i7-4790k and a GTX 1080, which is overkill for this game. Now when going ingame, I don’t get nearly the FPS I should get. Even the menus are choppy and lack FPS. What the fuck went wrong for me?

I checked the Lutris install scripts and looked into my installation - it should be exactly what is stated in the scripts: system WINE (staging-3.9) and one registry key set

What can I do to investigate this problem further?

I mean, it’s not that it gets laggy with many units, it’s choppy all the time, I’d say around 15-20 FPS. It doesn’t matter if therer are thousands of units for none at all, it’s the same shitty performance all the time

Running on an updated Arch Linux


#2

I don’t have it. So I can’t check. But from quickly reading the installer, it seems it switches to OpenGL. Perhaps you can try to set it back to DX9 (is that a thing in that game?), and then use the pba-3.9-firerat runner.


#3

doesn’t seem to solve the problem :frowning:

EDIT: Commando back! Really seems to solve the problem! I’m going to investigate this problem further, but for now it runs perfectly again!


#4

From quick read, it seems it is a dx8.1 game. Not sure if they updated to dx9…

-windowed
-opengl
-dx9

Could be command line switches.


#5

Wait, what happened? What does “Commando back” mean? What did you end up doing to solve your problem?


#6

that’s a failed attempt to translate the german phrase “Kommando zurueck!”, which would translate literally to “disregard the previous command” in a military sense, and as a saying just translates to “nevermind” essentially.


#7

Yep, totally what I meant :slight_smile:

So what I’ve done is basically removed/renamed the registry key (not sure if this is necessary!) and used the pba-3.9-firerat WINE version


#8

UPDATE: Was choppy and laggy again. I re-added the registry key for OpenGL and now it works perfectly again. I don’t know if this is the solution (WITH regkey and pba-3.9-firebat) or if it’s a “get lucky on the third game start” thing

Can’t test it too much now, investigate further on time


#9

Since PBA has nothing to do with OpenGL, the 2 are completely unrelated.Seems to be something that happens when you start the game.


#10

I have no idea what going on, I’m just jumping in to mention that I used to play Warcraft III on my FTP server in Wine around 2004 (and it ran very well).

I made sure that the game still runs ok with Staging 3.9 and it does.


#11

A wild guess, try right clicking the game entry in Lutris, then Wine Configuration -> Staging and enable VAAPI instead of CSMT for GPU decoding and/or set your wine to Windows XP

EDIT: I have installed Warcraft III Frozen Throne and it seems to run well on my machine with the setting I have told you to do.


#12

Still haven’t encountered issues for now. I guess I just played with the prefix and forgot to set something back…

So as stated above, simple as it is: with registry key and anything staging it runs. So the installer for now is perfectly fine