Vice Games on Kubuntu 18.10

Hello!

I have problem with Vice C64 emulator (runner). I have .tap with Giana Sisters game, but when I try
run this game log says:
Running /home/maciek/.local/share/lutris/runners/vice/bin/x64 -chdir /data/Programy/Commodore 64 -VICIIdsize -sdl2renderer opengl /data/Programy/Commodore 64/Giana Sisters.tap
/home/maciek/.local/share/lutris/runners/vice/bin/x64: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have libreadline .so.7, but symbolic link from it doesen’t work. This is independent if I have in settings “use system libraries” on or off.

Please help, i love this old game :slight_smile:

having a very similar issue with my vice plus/4

/.local/share/lutris/runners/vice/bin/xplus4: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have searched for the file, which does exist

locate libreadline.so.6
/home/jamesjrl/.local/share/lutris/runtime/lib32/libreadline.so.6
/home/jamesjrl/.local/share/lutris/runtime/lib64/libreadline.so.6

any clues on how to fix?

I’m into retro games myself. I own a real C64C (and an Amiga 500). :nerd_face:

I’m currently building a box which will let me connect a C64/Amiga joystick to a PC’s USB port so I can use it to play on Vice too.

Regarding your problem:
If the emulator can’t find the ones provided by Lutris you could try to install the package:

sudo apt-get install libreadline6

32bit multi lib:

sudo apt-get install libreadline6:i386

I don’t know what distro you are running, I’m not using Ubuntu so I cannot test the above…

you could try to install the package

That won’t work unless you’re on 16.04: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libreadline6

Nice avatar! :+1:

Then maybe adding these to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable? Bit weird though, as the are provided by Lutris and xplus4 is started from Lutris, one would expect these paths should be available already…

/home/jamesjrl/.local/share/lutris/runtime/lib32/
/home/jamesjrl/.local/share/lutris/runtime/lib64/
1 Like

On Xubuntu 20.04. Vice runner is also broken for me. The above suggestions didnt work??
error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

OK made progress. I had to symlink to libreadline.so.8.0
now I get Exit with returncode 132

Same issue here; libreadline6 is no longer available from my repos.

I compiled up (with all options) and dropped in a replacement VICE.

As of version 3.4, it drops x64 as the default executable, and we have x64sc and instead.
GTK3 compiled version doesn’t understand the -sdl2renderer flag any more, amongst others.

Unknown option ‘-sdl2renderer’.
Error parsing command-line options, bailing out. For help use ‘-help’

Seems like the runner options need updating, but against what build version?

“error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory” on Linux Mint 20. Any help is greatly appreciated.

@Terrum what is the result of this command line:

locate libreadline.so.6