Unable to run lutris after 0.4.23

since 0.5, i get:

~ $ lutris
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/lutris”, line 31, in
from lutris.gui.application import Application
File “/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/lutris/gui/application.py”, line 30, in
gi.require_version(“GnomeDesktop”, “3.0”)
File “/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/gi/init.py”, line 102, in require_version
raise ValueError(‘Namespace %s not available’ % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace GnomeDesktop not available

Hi, Please install the required dependencies specified in the lutris package for your distribution or follow the instructions in the INSTALL file

Slackware doesn’t ship with gnome-desktop…

It’s ok. I’ll fall back on to just using the runners.

More Edit: Maybe it would be a good idea to consider a distribution agnostic build…

Try this maybe: https://gitlab.com/gbschenkel/slackbuilds/tree/updates/libraries/gnome-desktop

Thank you.
I really have no need for gnome-desktop. I use fluxbox (and sometimes, occasionally and very seldom,XFCE).
I’ll continue to use 0.4.23… As long as the runners work, I am fine.

gnome-desktop is not the Gnome desktop. It’s a library that allows getting screen resolutions on Xorg and Wayland, it’s very poorly named by the Gnome project. If you have the other PyGObject bindings available then GnomeDesktop should be there as well.

Thanks for clarifying that.
I usually have fun trying to get things to work, but my impatience runs away with me occasionally too often. I apologise if I sounded ungrateful at any point. :wink:

Just an update.
I bravely tried. gnome-desktop needs a later meson and pip than I had.
I managed to edit an existing slackbuild script enough to get meson 0.50.0 installed. Pip took the same effort and the same multiple trial and errors to get installed.

I got this far and gave up when the gnome-desktop compile effort broke repeatedly with -Werror fails. I’ll try later to convert some arch/manjaro binary packages to Slackware packages and see how that goes…

ok Dropline gnome-desktop works for me and I did a pip install evdev pillow and idna… but now lutris fails with
File “/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/lutris/gui/dialogs/init.py”, line 12, in
gi.require_version(“WebKit2”, “4.0”)
File “/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/gi/init.py”, line 102, in require_version
raise ValueError(‘Namespace %s not available’ % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace WebKit2 not available

I’ve looked at both webkitgtk3-2.4.11 and webkitgtk-2.4.11 but neither works for me.
I think this is the last dependency that cripples my lutris.

Yay!
Success!
I needed the dropline gnome webkit2 Duh!

Ok so for Slackware,
libsoup, gnome-desktop,webkit are needed

and evdev, requests, pillow and idna are installed via pip install ...
and the lutris.Slackbuild file just needs to be edited to the current lutris version.

Happiness!