Um... how exactly do I install TLJ and Dreamfall?

I have installed lutris… and now I have no idea on how to install these games. I went to the main page for the games and clicked on download install script, but all I get is a new web page with a bunch of programing looking crap. Nothing downloads. What do I do with this install script and how do I download it?

Keep in mind that I already have the files for these games and that I do not wish to download the file again.

hello, do you own this games from Gog? Steam? Others?

Yes, I already have the gog files and don’t want to download them again.

I went to the main page for the games and clicked on download install script, but all I get is a new web page with a bunch of programing looking crap.

just click “install”, not “download install script”

I wrote the script for TLJ GOG: https://lutris.net/games/the-longest-journey/
But TLJ needs a more recent ResidualVM to run, I opened an issue about this:
https://github.com/lutris/lutris/issues/2303

So for the moment you can not play TLJ with Lutris until this issue will be resolved.

As a workaround, you can still install ResidualVM without Lutris, I opened a thread on GameOnLinux about that subject:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/3393

This is weird. Before I read your post I clicked on “add game” (the plus sign thing), then I set it to use wine, then I selected my TLJ exe file, then I hit play and it installed it. With some errors at the end. Then I hit play again and it started reinstalling it… I am confused by this.

For the moment this game does not work well with Wine, you should use ResidualVM instead. It is easy to install it, you can download build on their web page.

I really do not understand this… if I do as I said above, but hit play at the end of the instillation, it will play, but the game is tiny, and doesn’t cover the whole screen.

Why does it need to install every time though? I mean, once installed I should just have to hit play. But it installs every time I hit play.

When I click on “add game” in residual vm, it will not let me select the TLJ executable. The TLJ executable is the file at the top of the list, and I tried hitting choose anyway, but it tells me it could not find any game in the specified directory.

I really do not understand this… if I do as I said above, but hit play at the end of the instillation, it will play, but the game is tiny, and doesn’t cover the whole screen.

Do not use wine to play this game

Why does it need to install every time though? I mean, once installed I should just have to hit play. But it installs every time I hit play.

Because you have to change the path to the executable: not to the setup file but directly to the main exe.

When I click on “add game” in residual vm, it will not let me select the TLJ executable. The TLJ executable is the file at the top of the list, and I tried hitting choose anyway, but it tells me it could not find any game in the specified directory.

You should first install TLJ with wine then add the install folder to ResidualVM, ResidualVM does not recognize setup file but the game folder.

How do I install TLJ with wine directly? Should I just use POL? I have no idea how to use wine directly. And what folder is considered the game folder?

to install TLJ with Wine, you can open a terminal where your setup file is located and type:
wine yourgamesetup.exe
or just use Lutris ad you did before.

Just a note for future readers, on the gog version you will have to remove the"()" symbols in the file name for the TLJ exe file for it to work.

Okay. I installed it with wine by typing “wine setup_the_longest_journey_142_23143.exe” (this was after removing the “()” parenthesis from the name of the exe file), and it seems to have installed.

Then I set residual vm to use the file under .wine, drive c, gog games, The Longest Journey… and I selected The Longest Journey folder and it said it could not find a game.

Then I set residual vm to use the file under .wine, drive c, gog games, The Longest Journey… and I selected The Longest Journey folder and it said it could not find a game.

What is the ResidualVM version you are using?
You need a recent RVM build for TLJ.
Download and install a daily build (unstable) here:
https://www.residualvm.org/downloads/

it’s .2.1 from the MINT apps library (you go to the welcome screen then click apps)

How do I download the newest residual VM for MINT? I see the web page, but do I click on tar.bz2 or tar.gz or .zip?

And what do I do with the file when I download it? I tried the tar.gz file. I extracted it… but I don’t see an installer file. I tried clicking on the configure file and allowing it to run as an executable, but nothing seems to have happened except some new files were added to the folder.

Mint = Ubuntu = Debian, this distribution use most of the time the same packages

I just saw the unstable packages for Linux are not updated for months…I will post you another and easier solution before the end of the day.

kaw, could you test this script:
https://lutris.net/games/the-longest-journey-gog-residualvm-win32/installer/edit