Ubuntu 32bit libs being removed

Any ideas on how get to 32bit games running when Ubuntu ships next year without the 32bit libs

According to the message-deleting mods, magic.

Add Debian stable to your repos and install them from there?

Another suggestion has been flatpak.

With Valve blacklisting Ubuntu finding a solution has just became irrelevant

Doesn’t work. While Ubuntu is based on Debian it’s versioning scheme is different. If the package name (and versions) do not match then it will not install the i386 version.

Simplest solution : don’t upgrade to newer ubuntu versions ! Ubuntu 18.04 will be maintained until 2028 ! (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases)

Cannonical’s decision is very frustrating and sad, but Valve’s one is the real shame (https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/06/steam-announces-that-its-dropping-support-for-ubuntu). They could provide games in 32bits containers.

Containers have been mentioned several times as a solution and the update from Connonical is still implying containers are going to be needed.

How would this work. Would Lutris create the container with 32bit libs and games added to Lutris would be installed into container. Is that possible?

Could just extend the Lutris runtime with all the 32 bit libs necessary, based on 18.04. Assuming they aren’t already available there. Kind of shocking that Valve are dropping support considering the Steam runtime could do much the same.

Containers and Snaps are a terrible solution for me.

Anyway, I just moved to a different distribution. Find one that provides the package manager, desktop environment, and kernel + tooling you like, or at least works for you. I moved to Manjaro. It’s been working well so far. I like their Gnome setup. Their KDE spin is nice too.

There are tons of distro options out there. For the new to Linux or those who don’t want to fiddle with tech stuff much there is Pop OS and Solus. Open SUSE Tumbleweed is an option for new to intermediate users who don’t mind managing some technical details. Same with Manjaro, good for new to intermediate users, but is easier to break if users get curious. Fedora could be an option for intermediate users too. Debian Sid is an option for intermediate to advanced users. Same with Arch.

Once I figured out which version matched which, I was able to add Ubuntu repos to my Debian sources without any issues. Are you sure? For example Cosmic matches up with Buster.

Debian recommends not doing so. https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Lots of things aren’t recommended. Some of those warnings against things that aren’t recommended are nonsense, some aren’t, but when it comes to Linux, if you never do anything that’s not recommended, there are a lot of things you won’t be able to do.

I understand there can be issues with mixing Ubuntu and Debian repos, but if there’s a choice between that, and not being able to run games that are the main reason I even have a pc, I’ll deal with whatever issues arise, when they arise.

What I can say is I’ve had a few Ubunto ppa’s in my sources for over half a year now, with 0 issues—once I figured out which Ubuntu version matched Buster.

Let me put it to you this way, I’ve experienced fewer issues using Ubuntu ppa’s on my Debian system than I have using flatpak…

Having said that, I’m not sure that adding Debian sources to Ubuntu would work, probably what I do would be easier, which is to use Debian as the base system, and just add Ubuntu ppa’s to gain access to software I can’t get any other way. Just make sure you match versions correctly if you do that.

Solaris might make a snap package that can be installed in any Linux distro. Can’t remember where I read that but it was what Canonical said. Found from a steam link.

:slight_smile: Finally :

"[Update] Steam will continue support Ubuntu 19.10

Pierre-Loup (Steam Dev) responded to Ubuntu’s new decision and announced that Steam will continue to officially support Ubuntu. He also explained why they did not want to officially support Ubuntu 19.10 and future releases, in a discussion thread."

I was wondering why they made one of the worst decisions since the invention of the Microprocessor back in 1990. They should start sun-setting 32 bit lib’s starting with gaming company’s and then in 5 to 10 years they can DISCUSS dropping support and see if it’s time or they need to do more sun-setting first.