Trying to install Lutris on AlmaLinux

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I’ve tried searching the forum but haven’t had much luck here. I’m trying to install Lutris on AlmaLinux 8.5 and am getting the following error in the terminal. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have phython 3.8 installed but no matter what I try, I can’t seem to resolve the dependencies.

Error:
Problem: conflicting requests

• nothing provides python3.8dist(distro) needed by lutris-0.5.10-1.el8.x86_64
  • nothing provides python3.8dist(evdev) needed by lutris-0.5.10-1.el8.x86_64
  • nothing provides python3.8dist(pygobject) needed by lutris-0.5.10-1.el8.x86_64
  • nothing provides python38-dbus needed by lutris-0.5.10-1.el8.x86_64
  • nothing provides python38-distro needed by lutris-0.5.10-1.el8.x86_64
  • nothing provides python38-evdev needed by lutris-0.5.10-1.el8.x86_64
  • nothing provides python38-gobject needed by lutris-0.5.10-1.el8.x86_64
  • nothing provides python38-pillow needed by lutris-0.5.10-1.el8.x86_64
    (try to add ‘–skip-broken’ to skip uninstallable packages or ‘–nobest’ to use not only best candidate packages)

So Lutris is basically all written in Python, you can download the git repo into a folder and run it from there.

This is a problem of your package manager and the versions or the package you are trying to install.

Can you tell your package manager to ignore dependencies?

I did try that and it just skips the install. I’ll try downloading it from the git repo again. I tried the git repo first and it installed, but whenever I ran a dnf update command in terminal it still would hit on those errors which is strange…

Oh no, you are not supposed to install it from the git repo just directly use it. You can find the executable in:

/bin/lutris

Honestly, since you are not using an Ubuntu or Arch based system, you’ll be better off using the flatpak version. Flatpak is a universal way of installing apps on Linux; without having to deal with dependency issues.

Setup flatpak on your distro. For your distro there are instructions to do it on flathub. Then you can install Lutris through flatpak.

This should solve your problem: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/04/lutris-now-has-a-flatpak-beta-available-and-updated-for-the-steam-deck/

Just change this part of the command org.gnome.Platform.Compat.i386 to this org.gnome.Platform

2 Likes

Thank you! I completely forgot that Lutris was on the Flatpak Beta repo.

2 Likes

Good luck. I tried it in a VM. Lutris opened right away. So, since flatpak is the universal way of installing apps, it should work no problem. I can hardly wait until this app is no longer in beta and on Flathub. It means less PPAs for me to add in my case (I use KDE neon). :wink: