The Elderscrolls Online and Glourious Eggroll

Using Proton 5.9 GE-8-ST gives double the framerate of the default installation runner lutris-5.7-10. Although It doesn’t open the launcher it will open the game. This is an issue with Proton 5.9 GE-8-ST and not Lutris.

The workaround I use is to manually create a launcher for the Launcher that uses the runner Lutris-5.7-10. The actual game launcher is using the runner Proton 5.9 GE-8-ST downloaded manually from github.

I think it’s worth all the hassle for the near native performance I’m getting in PVE and PVP areas. 2020 sucked overall but Linux/Lutris has made things a little better.

Here is are my notes.
#########################################################
The Game

• cd ~/
  • wget https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases/download/5.9-GE-8-ST/Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST.tar.gz -O - | tar -xz
  • mkdir -p .var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/data/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/
  • ln -s ~/Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST/ .var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/data/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST
  • Open Lutris
  • Install The Elderscrolls Online (ESO)
  • Select the new launcher and configure it
  • Click the “Runner options” tab
  • Switch the runner to Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST
  • Select the “Game options” tab and copy the paths to an editor.
  • Click the “Browse” button on the “Executable” field
  • Navigate to the actual game executable
  • For instances: “/ESO/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/game/client/eso64.exe”

The Launcher

• From the top-left, click the + (plus) and select “Add Game”
  • For “Game info” Name type “ESO Launcher”
  • For “Runner” select “Wine …”
  • Select the “Game options” tab
  • Click the “Browse button” and navigate to the “Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe”
  • For example: /ESO/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Zenimax Online/Launcher/Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe
  • For “Wine prefix” this will be the same as the normal installed launcher.