Tex Murphy : Overseer MPEG2 Error

Has anyone got this game to work.

Wine has yet to fully implement WMF, etc. for media playback of Windows types. I’m going to assume this game is that way. It is being worked on and they are getting close it would seem. When I see video files, it is the first thing I assume.

There’s a possible workaround but its legally contentious so I will not post anything about it. Course, I didn’t try it or look into this problem with the game so don’t know if it would fix that problem here or not.

The DVD version of this game has caused Windows users problems for years. The GOG version uses a slight of hand, the ffdshow library and Xing decoder setting, which didn’t work for me. An older solution is to transcode the movies to MPEG1, but is a lot of effort and the game still needs to tricked into to seeing a hardware MPEG2 decoder.

The CDrom version might be the better option.

Its probably better to just wait for Wine to fix it. Someone is working on that stuff but it takes time.

The original box came with CDs and a DVD because DVD version only work a small number of systems with the right hardware mpeg decoder. I don’t think the WINE developers can fix this, The Poisoned Pawn was to be a fixed version but that got upgraded into completely new game.

You apparently don’t understand what Wine is :slight_smile:

WINE Is Not Emulator

Now that the Poisoned Pawn is dead in the water I was wondering if anyone got this to work now. I was able to make it run on Wine, 6.10 -7 under Linux Mint 20.2 with default stable kernel (5.4.0 -80) on whatever version of Lutris was recent back then. On first run the “Windows system” asked me if I wanted to use ffmpeg and when I clicked yes, the MPEG2 videos worked fine. I can’t replicate this now however, no matter what I do I never get the question again. I recently tried running it on Windows 10 following all sorts of online solutions without success so maybe there is something totally broken now with the GOG DVD version. It is a shame because it is a great game, one I enjoyed replaying fairly frequently.

You may have more luck with the CD version, but only hope for this game is that one day ScummVM might support it.

If you want to try getting Overseer work here’s a starting point.

Cheers, I will give it a go.

Meanwhile, I managed to get the GOG version going on my old Win 7 machine. Not a whole lot of tinkering, just the usual stuff necessary to get Midi music (VirtualMIDiSynth) and DGVoodoo to sort out the otherwise transparent in game object textures (also to adjust the game resolution - now stretched out to 2560x1440 looking surprisingly good). I did get the ffdshow question on the first run and the MPEG2 FMV bits run just fine. So I guess if I am able to replicate this in Wine I should be golden.