SWTOR not loading on Linux

I installed SWTOR using the wine installer. The game loads I can login and pull updates, but when I try to actually play it crashes. I am running Debian Testing with a NVIDIA Quatro GPU. Does anyone have advice on how to debug this and find out what is happening?

I have not tried this game but HexDSL made a video running the game in Lutris, maybe it has some information to fix the crashes.

I already watched his video. It was through him I discover lutris. I am looking at the logs and it appears to just close after the app launch. Here are the last few lines of the log file, The entire log can found here. I do notice that time is off. The logs are a day ahead…do not know if that means anything.

2017-05-10 00:10:28 INFO Patch completed normally (retailclient_swtor)
Preformatted text`2017-05-10 00:10:28 INFO Patching end
2017-05-10 00:10:29 INFO Using environment.name [swtor], productName [retailclient]
2017-05-10 00:10:29 INFO User pressed play (retailclient,en-us,swtor)
2017-05-10 00:10:29 INFO Game successfully launched: 
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old 
Republic\swtor\RetailClient\swtor.exe
2017-05-10 00:10:29 INFO Closed launcher

When I also launch the game in terminal I get this

wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe"
[0510/153610:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(111)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8

Please check that the debug output is activated for the game (in the runner options) otherwise you won’t have all necessary info visible.

The winemenubuilder message is normal and the network_change_notifier message is probably unrelated to the crash.

I did here is the output

wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe"
err:wineboot:ProcessRunKeys Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (2)
err:winediag:xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
err:winediag:xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
err:winediag:schan_imp_init Failed to load libgnutls, secure connections will not be available.
[0510/163844:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(111)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded

xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0.

Consider running the game in a Wine virtual desktop if you can’t manage to fix that.

schan_imp_init Failed to load libgnutls, secure connections will not be available.

Please see installers for Battle.net or Overwatch installers and install 32bit versions of libraries listed there.

Running it in a Virtual Desktop did not work. I have verified I have gnutls:i386 packages installed. What is frustrating is that I also have this installed on my System76 Gazelle running Intel intergraded graphics and the game loads there.

dpkg -l *gnutls*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                  Version                 Architecture            Description
+++-=====================================-=======================-=======================-================================================================================
ii  gnutls-bin:i386                       3.5.8-5                 i386                    GNU TLS library - commandline utilities
un  gnutls0                               <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  gnutls0.4                             <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  gnutls3                               <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
ii  libcurl3-gnutls:amd64                 7.52.1-5                amd64                   easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library (GnuTLS flavour)
un  libcurl4-gnutls-dev                   <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
ii  libgnutls-dane0:i386                  3.5.8-5                 i386                    GNU TLS library - DANE security support
ii  libgnutls-deb0-28:amd64               3.3.8-6+deb8u3          amd64                   GNU TLS library - main runtime library
ii  libgnutls-openssl27:amd64             3.5.8-5                 amd64                   GNU TLS library - OpenSSL wrapper
ii  libgnutls30:amd64                     3.5.8-5                 amd64                   GNU TLS library - main runtime library
ii  libgnutls30:i386                      3.5.8-5                 i386                    GNU TLS library - main runtime library
ii  libneon27-gnutls:amd64                0.30.2-2                amd64                   HTTP and WebDAV client library (GnuTLS enabled)
un  rsyslog-gnutls                        <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)

Do you have other Wine games running on your Nvidia powered machine? What version of the driver are you using?

Also, try running the game with the runtime disabled to see if that makes any difference.

Like I said in discord I verified that wine is working by installing and running Star Wars: Empire at War

I finally got it to work! Here is what happened.

1. I reinstalled the game via the Lutris client.
  2. I manually started the launcher.exe using the launch EXE option in the Lutris client
    • The game launched and I logged in. I then selected play and it froze on the splash screen
    • I ran iftop on my laptop and noticed that the game was not trying to communicate out to the servers
  3. I looked at the launch.ahk script to see what it was doing. Then tried the following
    • using the launch EXE option in the Lutris client I first launched swtor_fix.exe
    • when I saw that the executable and wineserver process were running in top I launched the launcher.exe file

The loaded as expected. So it looks the issue was launcher.ahk. I am not sure why though…