Suggestion to add android emulator

There isn’t much android emulators to linux anyway (maybe a couple) so it would be good to implement android emulator too for games mainly. My phone broke couple of days ago and now i can’t play clash royale (mobile game) anymore. Would be alot easier with one-click-installer to install android emulator which runs android games smoothly.

regards Borancer

2 Likes

I like this idea.

Good idea!

But the implementation of an android emulator is hard and the priority list is long.
I hope somebody will be able to make it happen but i don’t think we are going to see this soon.

Good luck with your phone (;

Are there even some Android emulators able to play games to begin with?
I’ve tried a few and usually those things are huge, especially compared to the average lutris runner (which might be 100MB at most for Wine or Mame)

aren’t there android AVD, that is open source(I think) and official…
Still, its at LEAST 600 MB on the hard drive.

I’ll have to see a few games actually running before even considering it.

@scottviger you make youtube videos, here’s an idea :wink:

Challenge Accepted!

1 Like

SO, i came back from 3 days of “why can’t it boot” and “SLOW SO SLOW”.
There is 2 way to run Android on Linux:

With Google Chrome | Won’t run anything
With a Virtual Machine | SLOW TOO GOD DAMN SLOW

Android Apps won’t run on Lutris, even if you try for weeks (;
I hope we could do it one day.

Have a good day! :penguin:

I had to setup an Android VM at work and once it’s setup to use the host GPU, it’s not slow at all. I was using the official VM with Android Studio so I guess there are other emulators that are more gaming focused.

Don’t we need to have the source code of the game/software to run it on Android studio?

Android Studio is not the emulator. It’s the whole software development suite. You can install any apk on the emulator.

That said, it’s geared towards development, there are other emulators best suited for gaming. I think Genymotion is pretty fast and is available on Linux.

And close source…

I don’t expect anything Android related to be Open Source. I consider Android to be a very closed ecosystem.

1 Like

I ran Whatsapp and Fallout Shelter in Genymotion once…
It worked out good, exept of a few little crashes.

I’ve not really an idear about the system, but isn’t the Cyanogenmod Open Source? So would it be possible to emulate Cyanogen instead of Android to work around the law?

I setup an playable speed Android environment for a customer years ago using QEMU which is a hybrid cooperative-kernaling/virtualizer/emulator (cooperative-kernaling is running more than one OS kernal simultaneously).

There were several difficulties I never fully overcame.
Most app stores did not recognize “your device” and I could not figure out how to feed them a fake device. So DRM-Free APK files were required for most app. Obtaining these legally, which I always did, is a pain. Many of the APKs on one’s android are DRM’d so can’t simply be transferred for use on a computer. I contacted many authors requesting the use a compatible app store or let me download an APK. a dozen or so let me have APKs only 1 used a different store.
No multitouch.
No auto start for Android games. The customer could boot or resume an entire Android system but needed to manually run games from within the system. This seems to me to be at odds with the way Lutris operates.
There were a mirad of poorly documented keyboard shortcuts to access Android features normally requiring tilt, light sensing, hardware buttons and such.

Another option is using a chroot environment to run x86 Android. While this is full-speed native, it is unfortunately x86. This reduces compatibility (many android games that will actually run on x86 will check architecture and falsely insist they won’t run. It is an automaticly included feature for many engines and compilers that devs are often unaware of) and includes the aforementioned difficulties. However, I would suggest Lutis devs add chroot to Lutris for the sake of older native closed source GNU/Linux games. Soon, chroot may be the only option to run them if this is not the case already.

EDIT: I did not mean to say there are insurmountable problems. I was only pointing out what needs to be overcome. We wouldn’t have had emulation at all if people were discouraged by such problems.

Looks like Android support in Lutris isn’t likely to happen soon :smiley:

btw, one good source for game APKs is the Humble Store, that’s where most of my Android games are from.

Chrome OS runs Android apps. Including Chrome OS on Intel 32-bit and 64-bit (not just arm). Using qemu to run Chrome OS gains both Chrome OS games and Android games. For Chrome OS specifically, there are a surprising number of companies porting their games to Chrome OS but not to GNU/Linux and even blocking these same games from running in wine.
For those who never have experienced qemu, here are some qemu command-line examples:
qemu-system-i386 -m 8 -drive format=raw,file=iw.img
This runs using a hard drive image in the file iw.img and allocates 8k RAM. This is how I run Inner Worlds on Debian Bo
qemu-system-x86_64 -m 2G -drive format=raw,file=w81.img
This is how to run Windows 8.1 on a customer’s GNUi/Linux laptop.

Same command-lines work on Mac, or even Android or Windows for that matter. The hard drive images can be from a real system or conjured by the qemu-img command-line utility (specify size and format). iso files can be mounted as cd-roms (this is how i installed Windows 8.1). This is not complicated. More advanced options are available and just as simple. I actually installed Debian Hamm and Windows 8.1 simultaneously for a customer. qemu is that nice.

Hi, I’ve just read through this thread and I think this may be a resolution to my problem, @zerothis

I’m needing a android emulator to run Marvel Strike Force, do you know if MSF works via this method? I would test this on my end but I have absolutely no clue on how to install Chrome OS in qemu or where to even find a Chrome OS iso file.

Any help is greatly appreciated!