Suggest on installing lutris

I had some problems with dependencies from winehq ( missing libX11, libxml2, … )

For windows games ( 32bit and 64bits ) I suggest than during the installating of Lutris to install a separate winehq-staging installation.
Lutris can be use as usual but avoid all problems from winehq.

my initial problem :
World of Tanks missing wotlauncher.exe [solved]

to solve it (for debian stretch) :

dpkg –add-architecture i386
wget -q -O - wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key | apt-key add -
echo ‘deb http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free’ > /etc/apt/source.list
apt update
apt install winehq-staging

source : wine dependency

I agree with everything but the very first line.

dpkg --add-architecture i386

That structure should only be used for 32bit applications or systems, it’s even mentioned on their install page.

I highly recommend Lutris’ developers to add winehq-staging (or at least winehq-stable) somewhere in their install routine. Of course not all people use Wine on Lutris (it has A LOT of runners), but it could be more explicit.

I add the 32bit architecture because most of window programs turn on 32bit :wink:
but effectively it’s not useful in most part, I edited my first post

I think there’s a bit of a misconception here. Wine comes with two different executables, wine and wine64. As far as I know, “wine” checks the program you’re trying to run and properly tries to execute in 32bit or 64bit mode. wine64 forces a 64bit environment.

You also control how programs run with wineprefixes and their respective winearchs

WINEPREFIX=/.wine/some/name WINEARCH=win32

this makes a 32bit wine “bottle”.

When you add yourself that first line, adding i386 architecture, I think you’re just filling your machine with bloat that’s never gonna be used. You may be effectively downloading wine:i386 and wine:x86_64 and all your calls are made with either one. Since most modern PCs (from the last 7 years or so) are already 64 bit architectures (x86_64), you’re never going to use wine:i386, because there’s a readiily available x86_64 binary.

EDIT: there’s a slight chance i386 binaries are necessary to properly run win32 prefixes (even if the x86_64 version supports it right away), but this is not what the download page says on that line.