Stuck in "Installing game data"

Hello good fellows, (very sorry if I’m not in the good place for that kind of issue, plus I’m quite a newbie in Linux so, I might not give all the useful data spontaneously)
It’s my first try with Lutris, I’m using Mint :
Linux version 4.13.0-41-generic (buildd@lgw01-amd64-028) (gcc version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9)) #46~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 3 10:06:43 UTC 2018

I tried to install Skyrim following that link : https://lutris.net/games/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/
and while the first very few steps of the installation seems to have work properly, I’m now stuck in that window : https://imgur.com/PSzYQgm
The installation has been stuck in that step since then. The first time I tried to quit, Cinnamon crashed and if I’m trying again, I’m sended back to this window, with the same problem. I thought that game data might be downloading anyway and this would be a graphical bug, but I’ve found people having a similar issues here : Can’t Install Games, “Installing Game Data” stuck (but this post is quite old right now).
I’ve tried to install two other game to compare : One from Steam and another which is standalone. The problem happened just the same for the steam game, but the not for the non-steam one, which seems to be installing properly. So the issue, it seems, comes from Steam.

What do you gentlemen, advise me to do next ? Thank you very much.

Have you ever been prompted to log in to your Steam account (for this game or any other other WineSteam games in Lutris)?
If so, the game may really be downloading. While you’re viewing the “stuck” window, are you able to click on the other Lutris window? If so, can you right-click on WineSteam and choose “Run”? That should open the main Steam client window, and hopefully you’ll be able to view your active downloads via the link at the bottom.

Hi. I have just installed Lutris yesterday. I tried installing a few games from Steam. But, Lutris will not start Steam, and when I try to install a game it is stuck at “Installing game data”, and nothing happens.

One time, Steam log in page turned up, and I had put my loggin info in it, but before I was able to click on “log in”, the window disappeared. Never oppened again, after trying to install different games.

I have try setting Lutris up to use other Wine version (I have tried three), and Steam to use that version too, but it is still the same.

My specs are:

Ubuntu 18.04 with Unity 7
AMD A6-7310
12GB or RAM 1600 MHz (1 GB allocated to the iGPU)
Mesa 18.0.5
Stock Kernel (whichever version 18.04 uses).

Why no help? :frowning:

@Slobodan_covek you’re probably better making your own thread, but other than that, there are plenty of people with that same “installing game data” problem over here, and you’d probably get a lot of troubleshoot data. So, first of all, I’m not sure you couldn’t find your solution.

The first question is: have you installed winehq-staging in your system? If not, follow the steps for Ubuntu here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

Make sure to use the “–install-recommends” flag. This will probably solve everything

Thank you!

I tried searching for that problem, but the answers that I found where along the lines of “read this 50 page manual, noob”. I am not what you would call “software-savvy”. I am a hardware guy.

Of course, if I had opened a new topic, someone would replied that the same topic already exist, and that I should ave used the search option to see if there are similar topics already posted. That is one of the reasons I try to stay away from forum as much as I can.

Anyway, I have installed WineHQ. I have set up in Lutris for Steam to use Wine 3.13. I tried installing a game, and same thing as the first time happened. I click install, and everything else that it was needed. Windows Steam starts, I log in, and after that Steam is no longer running. And I have this “Installing game data”. :confused:

If it’s a wineSteam game, the game will need to be fully downloaded to be considered “installed”. Just open wineSteam by right clicking the runner and choosing “run”, log in, double click the game you want and download it.

If it doesn’t appear on Lutris’ screen, you can attempt to install it again, in which case wineSteam will identify the game there and properly add to your Lutris list.

Thank you for your help. But when try that, Wine Steam just crashes. It does not open.

open lutris in a terminal simply typing

lutris

see what comes up on the terminal when you try to execute wineSteam

This is what I get:

slobodan@slobodan-HP-255-G5-Notebook-PC:~$ lutris
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘libgtk3-nocsd.so.0’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘libgtk3-nocsd.so.0’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
INFO 2018-08-02 18:36:08,989 [runner]:Runtime disabled by system configuration
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/runners/runner.py”, line 210, in run
thread = LutrisThread(command, runner=self, env=env, watch=False)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/thread.py”, line 78, in init
self.cwd = self.set_cwd(cwd)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/thread.py”, line 89, in set_cwd
cwd = self.runner.working_dir if self.runner else ‘/tmp’
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/runners/winesteam.py”, line 202, in working_dir
if (os.path.isfile(steamless_binary)):
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/genericpath.py”, line 30, in isfile
st = os.stat(path)
TypeError: stat: path should be string, bytes, os.PathLike or integer, not NoneType

It seems like you’re missing dependencies from libgtk3.

If you installed everything correctly, I’m not sure how you don’t have those on your system. Maybe you need to install libgtk-3-0. I’m quite lost when it comes to package names.

Tanks. I have installed that package, but the same thing happens.

The error with libgtk3 pops-up when opening Lutris. When opening Wine Steam, I get that part starting from “Traceback”.

Never mind, it is not worth it. I thought that things are much easier now, but they are obviously not.

I’m sorry you’re facing such troubles. I tried Lutris in three environments: Ubuntu 16.04, Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon and in all those situations I could get things running.

The only problem I had earlier was not having winehq-staging installed, since it installs a lot of other required system packages.

You’re either, somehow, with missing Lutris dependencies or winesteam dependencies or the Unity 7 desktop environment is not suitable for this operation…

Hello, i know this thread is old but i was struggling with this same issue during some time. Here is the solution found (POP OS 21.10)
Install Wine Ubuntu - WineHQ Wiki (as instructed here - developmental branch worked for me)
Install wine sudo apt install wine
reboot.
Open lutris again

Hope it helps!