StarCraft Remastered No sound

I just installed StarCraft remastered on my Linux Mint KDE and it runs just fine, except that I get no sound whatsoever from the game. Wine config “Test sound” button does play a sound, but the game itself doesn’t. I wonder what’s wrong with my setup, the game seems to be OK, cinematics play fine. I had installed the game in another PC with Linux Mint Cinnamon and it ran just perfectly.

EDIT
I had the game working with PlayOnLinux before, and I noticed that POL uses alsa instead of pulseaudio (sound worked fine with POL, but since they don’t update their wine staging versions thus Blizzard games no longer work lately I decided to switch to Lutris)

I have been trying to change the audio from pulseaudio (winepulse.drv) to alsa (winealsa.drv) using the tools Lutris shows available (right click, winetricks, but the option is missing there, winecfg lacks a way to change it either, shell prompt winetricks sound=alsa says that winetricks is not installed.

EDIT2
It seems that changing from pulse to alsa is not the problem since audio works fine on LM Cinnamon and I have checked that it’s running on winepulse.drv. what could be the source cause then?

Sound still works fine in Starcraft Remastered for me (just checked). So check your setup.

What should I check? Any testing or detecting commands? I know i’ts just me, but I don’t know what is wrong with my setup, it worked fine in PlayOnLinux. I’m sorry but your reply is too generic and it doesn’t help me.
How do I see logs or anything like that that could tell me what could possibly be wrong? POL had a debug button/command, but I can’t find a Lutris equivalent.

Clearly you didn’t read my post, just the title and then replied. I have a working SC Remastered and a non working one, and I can’t pinpoint the reason.

I also just added Heroes of the storm and sound plays just fine. It’s just SC Remastered in this particular setup, but why? I can’t figure out. I even tried reinstalling to no avail.

It was 02:00 for me, I was about to go to sleep. I read your post, then I rechecked that my installer with SC-R was still working correctly, so you could rule that out.

This is the Lutris support forum, not Linux Mint support forum. And I know nothing about Linux Mint.

That said, open start menu in KDE, type Sound, look at the applications there and see if perhaps you set something incorrect for just the game. Pulseaudio Volume control can give you more information. If you want commandline: pactl or pacmd.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Phonon
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio

Oh I see. Sorry. You seem overworked.

This is a Lutris problem with my particular MInt setup, not a Mint problem since other Lutris games run fine and the game works fine in my other Mint setup. In fact, both are running on the same hardware.

Strange, I didn’t set anything, nothing that could have anything with the game there.

I think those commands are for linux itself, not Lutris . I tested with alsamixer, but everything looks fine there, no problems.

Hmm. OK, I found the Lutris Game Log (it was in the game menu, but since I’m new to Lutris I had not seen it)

ALSA lib conf.c:3357:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:606:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
wine: Unhandled exception 0xc0000417 in thread 71 at address 0x523586 (thread 0071), starting debugger…
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread 96 at address 0x36f60d3 (thread 0096), starting debugger…
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread de at address 0x36f60d3 (thread 00de), starting debugger…
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread ef at address 0x36f60d3 (thread 00ef), starting debugger…
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread 101 at address 0x36f60d3 (thread 0101), starting debugger…
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread 143 at address 0x36f60d3 (thread 0143), starting debugger…
ALSA lib conf.c:3357:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so

It seems there is a problem with dependencies, but I had checked those before… and when I played SC Remastered with POL it never had this problem nor asked for that libasound_module_conf_pulse.so library. strange. After searching the whole system I found that it does exist, why SC Remastered can’t find it?
I followed the instructions here:

cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
sudo ln -s alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so libasound_module_conf_pulse.so

But… SIGH where does it search for it? OK I will restart the session and retry.

I was just sleepy. And I just make Blizzard installers in Lutris, but I don’t actually play SC: R, so I had to test if it was my installer or something else. Since my installer works just fine (except for Blizzard App having some issues sometimes that are still being identified), you can rule that out.

So yes, either your system setup / you have a dependency issue.

You can also try as setting esync-3.13, that actually had a different PA implementation.

Thanks for your time.

Yes, it’s not your installer, it’s something deeper within a Lutris runner: Wine Staging.

Something like that. Both. Something happens when I install, KDE becomes slow, but everything works afterwards (except sound). I do have the dependency. Libasound is there in synaptics, libasound_module_conf_pulse.so is there at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/ when I search the system. It’s just Lutris’ Wine Staging that even if reinstalled doesn’t find the library. The question is why? Where does it expect to find it? It’s also something that only happens with that particular Wine Staging version, Heroes of the storm is installed alongside SC Remastered here, and it has no problems whatsoever, and it’s most probably because it also uses a completely different Wine Staging version as runner.

EDIT
Hmm, I think I saved a piece of the install log that seemed odd.

0021:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly     L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0023:fixme:kernelbase:AppPolicyGetThreadInitializationType 0xfffffffa, 0xaefea0
0021:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
0021:fixme:winhttp:get_system_proxy_autoconfig_url no support on this platform

But that doesn’t seem to have anything to do with this.

EDIT2
Guess what!

wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe"
wine: Unhandled exception 0xc0000417 in thread 6a at address 0x523586 (thread 006a), starting debugger...
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread 8f at address 0x36f60d3 (thread 008f), starting debugger...
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread d8 at address 0x36f60d3 (thread 00d8), starting debugger...
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread ea at address 0x36f60d3 (thread 00ea), starting debugger...
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread fd at address 0x36f60d3 (thread 00fd), starting debugger...
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread 12e at address 0x36f60d3 (thread 012e), starting debugger...

The log for Heroes Of The Storm! It says the same errors! And yet I do have sound when I play that game! This… this just doesn’t make any sense at all!

It is a different Wine version that is used yes. You can try just changing it for SC:R and see if it helps.

Just tested that right now. Right click, configure, went to runner options tab, and then changed it from Wine Staging 3.11 to that strange customized wine staging (pba firerat 3.11) that Heroes of the Storm uses.
Then clicked Save and launched the game. It took a longer while with a “Wine is updating configuration” message, then Battle.Net started normally. I started the game and… same result: game runs fine but there is absolutely no audio at all!
What a headache. what could be wrong? Heroes Of the storm has sound completely normal! Music and SFX play normally!

Found the cause: there is a bug in Github

I hope they can pinpoint the reason and fix it or at least give us a workaround.