Star Wars: Racer - Which Installer?

As far as I can tell, the two installers for Star Wars:Racer are for a version of the game that was purchased through GoG. But I didn’t get my copy of the game from GoG. My copy is from a disc that I got 15+ years ago. In fact, the print on the disc specifies that it’ll run on Windows 95 and 98. Will one of the Lutris installers work? Or do both of those installers just work for the GoG version? Is there something different about the disc version? Or has the GoG version been modified by the LucasArts to be compatible with newer versions of Windows and my version won’t work with Lutris or Wine because it’s made for Windows 98?

I’ve found a gold rating for it on AppDB:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=11117&iTestingId=99534

Proton likes it too:

https://www.protondb.com/app/808910

If you like you can analyze the installer script for the GOG version:

You can try the GOG version, it will ask for a GOG installer and all paths use the GOG paths. So I think this route will not work.

However I don’t see to many special steps listed at Proton and AppDB so I would just follow that.

If I modified that installer by changing the file paths from the original default original file path (c:\gog) to the normal Wine file path (drive_c/Program Files (x86), would the the installer work with my CD version of this game? Or is the installer more GOG-specific than that?

You could actually try that. The paths I find in the installer script are destination paths. At the top you see the swr: item which states N/A. That lets Lutris know that the user will manually provide an installer.

That’s the install part. As for the rest. Just try and find out. :slight_smile:

Hello @RedSox07, I’m the writer of this installer:

If I modified that installer by changing the file paths from the original default original file path (c:\gog) to the normal Wine file path (drive_c/Program Files (x86), would the the installer work with my CD version of this game?

No, this installer is GOG specific, we need to write another installer from scratch for CD version.

I could try to write another installer specific to CD version.
I sent you a pm.

TADA! Star Wars Episode I: Racer (CD + dgVoodoo2) version 1.0:

1 Like

Nice! :+1:

Thanks!