[SOLVED with much help!] An Elite Dangerous Install Tutorial That Genuinely Works!

I fixed my issue with Elite Dangerous Horizons with the same driver change.

It seems to be caused by some issue with the AMD supplied vulkan-amdgpu-pro driver (amdgpu-pro-19.30 - both 838629 and 855429 versions) - on a new AMD RX 5700

Only happens in Elite Dangerous Horizons, the regular version runs without issues. The system crashes/freezes at “preparing planet generation system” after shader generation completes.

Cycle of pain: -

• installed AMD supplied driver

• install updated winetricks

• install lutris steam ED:H

• run the regular game launcher once. Quit.

• winetricks to make sure win7 dxvk dotnet40

• winetricks to make sure dotnet472 (twice, failed the first time)

• run ED:H. Freezes the system with high CPU/GPU at “preparing planet generation system”

• switch to padoka PPA instead of oibaf (also updates llvm to 8), with proper purge

• run ED:H. Freezes the system with high CPU/GPU at “preparing planet generation system”

• install latest dxvk from doitsujin

• tweaking of dxvk options tried to tell it I was an Nvidia card

• forcibly copy TerrainComputeShadersNvidia.csa to TerrainComputeShaders.csa

…in the end, it was the AMD pro driver :frowning:
remove AMD driver
$ sudo apt remove vulkan-amdgpu-pro vulkan-amdgpu-pro:i386
install regular Ubuntu Open source
$ sudo apt install amdvlk

• run ED:H. “Preparing planet generation system” takes a while, but eventually completes

and the crowd goes wild :slight_smile: