Back to the main site

[Solved] Witcher 3 don't work anymore after wine-staging upgrade

Hello, two days ago there was upgrade on my Ubuntu 18.10. Nvidia drivers was upgraded to version 410.73. I have Dell Laptop with optimus graphics. Witcher 3 was working perfect on nvidia 396 and 410 drivers. Now I downgrade drivers to version 396 and try different wine versions but nothing helps. When I click game launcher my screen freezes and nothing happen. In terminal it looks like this:
terminal output

Edit. I noticed that when I login in Wayland session I have black screen instead of screen freeze.

err: D3D11: CreateGeometryShaderWithStreamOutput:
Transform feedback not supoorted by device

Since you downgraded, your NVidia drivers shouldn’t support VK_EXT_transform_feedback, which is required in 0.90. Either pick a suitable version NVidia driver with that kind of support or downgrade dxvk to 0.82.

You can possibly verify if you have the extension by downloading vulkan-utils (apt) and running

vulkaninfo | grep VK_EXT_transform

If you want to check vulkaninfo works fine first, try

vulkaninfo | head

It is worth to mention some people say “don’t bother with whatever vulkan version shows up in vulkaninfo, it may not be accurate”

EDIT: info about suitable nvidia drivers for dxvk 0.90: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/695

But it works great with 396.54 drivers and dxvk 0.90 before. Then I have upgrade to nvidia 410… and also work great and two days ago there was upgrade to nvidia 410.73 and also wine-staging 3.19 then W3 stop working.

Now I upgrade once again nvidia drivers to 410.73.

vulkaninfo | grep VK_EXT_transform                                                                                                                                                            
INTEL-MESA: warning: ../../../src/intel/vulkan/anv_device.c:1150: FINISHME: Implement pop-free point clipping
vulkaninfo: /build/vulkan-tools-ZnxIl9/vulkan-tools-1.1.82.0+dfsg1/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.c:1253: AppDumpSurfaceFormats: Assertion `!err' failed.
zsh: abort      vulkaninfo | 
zsh: exit 1     grep VK_EXT_transform

vulkaninfo | head                                                                                                                                                                
INTEL-MESA: warning: ../../../src/intel/vulkan/anv_device.c:1150: FINISHME: Implement pop-free point clipping
==========
VULKANINFO
==========

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.1.82

Those vulkaninfo outputs seem very odd. It’s as if your drivers are bugged.

If you check the first line of the first command, it goes into /src/intel/vulkan. It’s probably trying to get stuff from your iGPU.

I now nothing about this and have no way to test, but maybe by adding an environment variable, you can “execute vulkaninfo” with your nvidia gpu?

DRI_PRIME=1 vulkaninfo | head

or something like that. (sorry if this doesn’t work).

Another thing, does any game work with Vulkan/DXVK at the moment? If not, it can point to a buggy driver install of some sorts. If they do, your issue may be specific from W3.

It’s the same:

DRI_PRIME=1 vulkaninfo | head                                                                                                                                                                 
==========
VULKANINFO
==========
Vulkan Instance Version: 1.1.82

I don’t have any other game working with DXVK.

Don’t use Wayland to game. Use 396.54.09 not 410. Stream output is only supported with 396 currently. You can get the ppa for it here:

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/dev

Hi, I don’ t use wayland. I think it’s wine-staging 3.19. When I downgrade drivers to 396 game also don’t work. Now I restore my system with timeshift and W3 works perfect with winehq-staging 3.18, nvidia 410.66 and dxvk 0.90. Yesterday when I choose wine-staging 3.18 in lutris game don’t work with nvidia 396 or 410.73. I think that must be winehq-staging 3.18. I must block upgrade wine-staging somehow.

Edit. I block wine-staging upgrade and Witcher 3 works great even if I upgrade nvidia drivers. Thanks for Your help.

Hello again.
Yesterday I have those upgrades on my Ubuntu:

accountsservice curl desktop-file-utils dmsetup gdm3 gedit gedit-common gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0 gir1.2-gdm-1.0 gir1.2-goa-1.0 gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-data gnome-control-center-faces gnome-initial-setup gnome-online-accounts initramfs-tools initramfs-tools-bin initramfs-tools-core libaccountsservice0 libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6:i386 libc6-dbg libc6-dev libc6-i386 libcurl3-gnutls libcurl4 libdevmapper1.02.1 libgdm1 libgoa-1.0-0b libgoa-1.0-common libgoa-backend-1.0-1 libnvidia-cfg1-410 libnvidia-common-410 libnvidia-compute-410 libnvidia-compute-410:i386 libnvidia-decode-410 libnvidia-decode-410:i386 libnvidia-encode-410 libnvidia-encode-410:i386 libnvidia-fbc1-410 libnvidia-fbc1-410:i386 libnvidia-gl-410 libnvidia-gl-410:i386 libnvidia-ifr1-410 libnvidia-ifr1-410:i386 libxnvctrl0 locales multiarch-support nvidia-compute-utils-410 nvidia-dkms-410 nvidia-driver-410 nvidia-kernel-common-410 nvidia-kernel-source-410 nvidia-settings nvidia-utils-410 pop-gtk-theme pop-icon-theme python3-distupgrade ubuntu-release-upgrader-core ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk wine-staging wine-staging-amd64 wine-staging-i386:i386 winehq-staging xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-410

I upgrade, then W3 stop working (I try many lutris >wine - dxvk combinations) - black screen after launch. When I hold wine-staging upgrade it don’t help. Game still don’t work. I think it’s nvidia driver 410.78.
Anyone have that problem?

Nvidia (#267)
Recommended driver version: 396.54 or later
For Stream Output support, use 396.54. 09

From DXVK’s driver support section on Wiki.

Drvier 410.73 works fine. New driver 410.78 that want to update make trouble. Can You tell me how to block nvidia drivers from upgrade?

On ubuntu, you can tell apt to do like

apt install name-of-your-package=410.86

and it will try to downgrade that package into that version, if it exists

Now I have only 2 drivers to choose on ubunut:

ubuntu-drivers devices
== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000010DEd00001C8Dsv00001028sd000007FAbc03sc02i00
vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
model : GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile]
driver : nvidia-driver-410 - third-party free
driver : nvidia-driver-415 - third-party free recommended
driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

Those are the ‘most up to date’ versions they put available in their package manager thing, but if you pick a specific version like I mentioned, it will likely download it.

A lot of Ubuntu users are having the same issue, so I expect you can find help/guidance in the Ubuntu specific community, rather than on lutris. And it was probably not after wine-staging upgrade, as mentioned in your title (old thread), but after nvidia-driver update.

I put this in terminal:
sudo apt-mark hold nvidia...
and upgrade other updates. Everything is OK now. I will not upgrade nvidia drivers until I finish Witcher 3 :slight_smile: