[SOLVED] "Wine is not installed on your system" error while Wine already installed

I have downloaded lutris and I also have downloaded Wine (as the tutorial that I am redirected to shows), but lutris still says, that Wine is not installed. I tried reinstalling both (lutris and Wine) and nothing changed.

I am a pretty nooby linux user, so please say everything simply, thank you very much for every suggestion.

Hi. This is more distro than Lutris, so to guide you, we need to know what Linux distrubution you’re using.

For example, if you’re on a Linux Mint distro/ubuntu/debian-like, then
sudo dpkg -l | grep wine
…will show you installed WINE packages.

If you followed the instructions on the WINE website, you’ll have some installed bits like fonts-wine, wine-stable, libwine in your list of installed software.

Finally, distributions are 64 bit nowadays, so you will need to enable 32 bit support, and install the supporting WINE version for for games that need it. That varies between Linux versions :slight_smile:

I have Linux Mint 20. I think, that I have allowed the 32 bit support (is it command “sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386”?).

When I used your command to show installed Wine packages, these was shown:

ii fonts-wine 5.0-3ubuntu1 all Windows API implementation - fonts
ii libwine:amd64 5.0-3ubuntu1 amd64 Windows API implementation - library
ii libwine:i386 5.0-3ubuntu1 i386 Windows API implementation - library
ii libwine-development:amd64 5.5-3ubuntu1 amd64 Windows API implementation - library
rc wine-desktop-files 5.0.3 all Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer
rc wine-stable 5.0.3~focal amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
rc wine-stable-amd64 5.0.3~focal amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
rc wine-stable-i386:i386 5.0.3~focal i386 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii wine-staging 6.0~rc1~focal amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii wine-staging-amd64 6.0~rc1~focal amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii wine-staging-i386:i386 6.0~rc1~focal i386 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii wine32:i386 5.0-3ubuntu1 i386 Windows API implementation - 32-bit binary loader
ii winehq-staging 6.0~rc1~focal amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs

So what should I do now? (Sorry for that dumb questions, I am not so computer handy).

Thank you very much.

Hi. I have to be a little careful here - it looks like you installed all the wine.

Anything with “-staging” is the experimental wine branch. Typically you choose wine-stable and leave it at that. Not sure if Lutris is having problems with the multiple versions.

I’m on 20 as well, and Lutris is more than happy with the following out of the stable branch: -

• fonts-wine
  • libwine
  • wine-stable
  • wine-stable-amd64
  • wine-stable-i386:i386
  • winehq-stable

So I uninstalled the older and installed the stable version and runned that command again

ii wine-stable 5.0.3~focal amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii wine-stable-amd64 5.0.3~focal amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii wine-stable-i386:i386 5.0.3~focal i386 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
rc wine-staging-i386:i386 6.0~rc1~focal i386 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii winehq-stable 5.0.3~focal amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs

Now I have almost everything like you (plus one old staging package, I do not know why) and lutris is still saying, that I do not have Wine installed :frowning:

The odd staging package is i386 and can be removed by targetting it specifically e.g. apt remove wine-staging-i386
The package wine-stable installs wine executables to /opt/wine-stable/bin

Check you have /usr/bin/wine, and it links to the wine executable
$ ls -l /usr/bin/wine
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Nov 10 21:30 /usr/bin/wine -> /opt/wine-stable/bin/wine

If you had staging installed, this (and other) link might have linked to something else, and got broken, in which case I’d remove all packages, and reinstall stable.

After re-installing, make sure /usr/bin/wine links to the right place.

Depending on the game you want to install (which you did not say) you might need to install wine-staging all over again. So, if you still have difficulties:

• check in /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/apt/sources.d whether you have the winhq repository active and temporarily disable it (by putting a # in front of the line).
  • if the winehq repo was active, deinstall all wine packages
  • reinstall wine64 and wine32 from your Mint repo and check the /usr/bin/wine link - if in doubt ask on the mint forums whether it is correct. it should not lead to anything in /opt but probably to /etc/alternatives/wine (I do not have Mint but that’s the Debian way)
  • Test by calling wine --version in terminal and try again to install lutris

You can refer to this guide https://linuxhint.com/installing_wine_linux_mint/ but keep to Mints own repository for now.

When everything works, try to install the wine version your game needs via Lutris. If that is not possible, you need the winehq repo as described in the second part of https://linuxhint.com/installing_wine_linux_mint/

Hi. Thank you very much for help. I work now. Best regards.