Back to the main site

[SOLVED] Wine config not saving

I’m running Diablo 2 windowed in an emulated desktop so I can increase the size of the game window. This is working just fine.

However, Wine in Lutris does not save the setting i made for emulated desktop. I have to configure this every time I play.

The game is playing fine with wine staging 3.7 in Lutris otherwise.

Host: VPCEB3Z1E C606S9RE
Kernel: 4.14.71-1-MANJARO
Uptime: 17 hours, 17 mins
Packages: 1260 (pacman), 2 (flatpak)
Shell: bash 4.4.23
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: Xfce
Theme: Vertex-Maia [GTK2], Adwaita [GTK3]
Icons: Vertex-Maia [GTK2], Adwaita [GTK3]
Terminal: xfce4-terminal
Terminal Font: Monospace 12
CPU: Intel i5 M 460 (4) @ 2.534GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650/5750
Memory: 2859MiB / 7834MiB

The first thing I would look into is if Lutris has permission to write in your Games folder. I’m running on the default ~/Games/ folder and it can definitely write config files there…

Just to confirm, you’re able to right click configure in Lutris’ menu and when you do it again, settings reset?

Since I installed Diablo 2 through Lutris in the default ~/Games/ folder it should have permission, right?

Yes, right click on Diablo 2 in Lutris --> Wine configuration --> Graphics --> check Emulate a desktop and set to 1280 x 960 --> apply. When I start the game next time it’s unchecked and reset to 800 x 600.

Run lutris with

lutris -d

and give us what your terminal outputs after closing the winecfg interface. If you want to put it in a file (with Lutris startup stuff and etc.) do

lutris -d > logfile_for_lutris.txt

Also, just to make sure, does this also happen in other games?

Lutris ignores virtual desktop set from winecfg. Use the option under runner options.

That’s really confusing. But thanks for info!

Please edit the title with [SOLVED] in the beginning.

The “rule” we learn here is that Lutris will handle everything for the environment and you may make small tweaks in the Staging tab, for example.

OK. Working fine now. Thanks guys.